Favorite book for leisure reading?

chemistry_geek

Registered
What are your favorite books/authors/reading material (non-technical)? This should get some interesting responses.

My favorite authors include Mark Twain and Arthur C. Clark. Mark Twain wrote much more than just books; his essays involve some deep thinking, such as "What Is Man?". I just bought J. R. R. Tolkien's "Lord Of The Rings" complete set from Sam's Club. This latest edition is published from his estate with the most recent corrections he wanted made to the series just before he died. I can't wait to delve into these books, but grad school does not provide any free time for that kind of leisure.

Harry Potter!!!

also Jimmy Buffett's fiction

(actually these are the only things i've had time and energy to read since starting grad school):D

Philip K. Dick tops my list (with Eye in the Sky being my personal favorite of his writings), Frank Herbert's Dune series (specially the last three, my wife likes the three new ones by is son), and Arthur C. Clark's Odyssey series (with 3001 being my favorite because seeing the future in Frank Pool's eyes is like being there, he wrote Frank's character as our contemporary and not as what the 60's thought a person of 2001 would think of 3001).

RacerX... I love Philip K. Dick! I also thought 3001 was great as well.

Has anyone out there read Arthur C. Clarke's book "The Trigger".... very poignant in these days of terrorism and paranoia about guns. I highly recommend it.

I also really like Neal Stephenson. Snow crash and The Diamond Age are phenomonal.

nick hornby (fever pitch, about a boy and high fidelity), george orwell (1984 and animal farm), aldous huxley (brave new world) and tom clancy (the net force series, rainbow six). and whoever wrote infinate loop.

Hey, who says I have any leisure? :D

OK, seriously now, I personally like the Left Behind series by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins. Bought the latest one (Desecration) and finished it in a couple weeks. Now I am waiting ever so hard for the next one to come out.

I tried the Left Behind "kids" series since my youth pastor said some of the books get kinda deep but did not finish it. I moved on the the "adult" series and have enjoyed it greatly.

Have a great day!

Albert

Tom Clancy novels.

Right now I am also reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X, and I would recommend it to anyone. Great book. Also try "night" by elie wiesel.

Originally posted by rinse
RacerX... I love Philip K. Dick! I also thought 3001 was great as well.

Have you seen "The Shifting Realities of Philip K. Dick"? It is a collection of papers and writings in which he looks at his works, philosophies, and life.

I had been meaning to read 1984 ever since I got a copy of the movie Metropolis. I heard they both run along the same lines. Plus I need to add THX 1138 to my movie collection (sounds like it is actually a closer match for 1984).

Originally posted by RacerX
I had been meaning to read 1984 ever since I got a copy of the movie Metropolis. I heard they both run along the same lines. Plus I need to add THX 1138 to my movie collection (sounds like it is actually a closer match for 1984).
it is a great book, especially as it was written in 1946, you wont look at a tle without a little paranoia again.

For fun non-thinking reading it's all about Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman writing about the Dragon Lance chronicles. Great stuff. Michael Crichton is my other fiction fav.

The most meaning full stuff comes in the form of books by Thich Nat Hanh.
Incredible spiritual stuffs...

I, too just bought Lord of The Rings. I can't believe I haven't read it sooner. Excellent book(s).

also, Douglas Adams, Patricia Cornwell, Stephen Haeking (relaxing?), Carl Sagan

Back