Fax Sending Problem

Harvey Young

Registered
I have encountered a problem in sending faxes, though I have used the same procedure for years without difficulty. I am able to receive faxes through my Mac without problem.

• I created a document, using AppleWorks.
• I formatted the document as a fax PDF, entered the recipient's address (which is in my address book.
• The document looked fine in Preview, so I clicked on the SEND button.
• The icon on the menu bar shows a "dialing" status, but it abruptly stops before any connection can be made.

What could be the reason for this anomaly?

Thank You....
HY

I'm also having this problem recently, but unfortunately cannot connect it to a specific system change since we don't fax all that often. I suspect it was the recent update to 10.4.10 or 10.4.11.

I'm printing via "Fax PDF" using the internal modem on my PowerMac G4. Symptom, as monitored by the fax "Internal Modem" job window, is that the modem dials properly, the remote fax picks up, and the audible handshake tones seem to indicate that the modem and the remote fax are talking. The fax status in the menu bar never progresses beyond "dialing", while the job window indicated "connected". Within about 30-60 seconds, the whole thing stops, the line is dropped, and the job window shows "Hold Until..." with a re-try time.

I know in the past, I've had some success with noisy phone lines by limiting the fax baud rate to 9600. I know that the rate should be negotiated automatically, but I've seen this work with other setups. I cannot figure out how to do this with the built-in fax software in OS X.

Can anybody shed any light on the problem?

Thanks in advance!!!
Tom

Back