Faxing from OS X?

wicky

play thing
I haven't used the fax facility before, but my real (old school) fax has just died.

Is it possible to use fax via broadband (ie. on a DHCP network, behind a firewall, without a modem connection)? And, if so, what do I have to do.

Somehow it just seems wrong to buy a new fax with the current state of technology.

You can hook up the phone line to your internal modem and send and receive faxes on your Mac. Choose "System Preferences" from your Apple menu, and click "Print & Fax", then "Faxing "for all sorts of options and details.

adambyte said:
You can hook up the phone line to your internal modem and send and receive faxes on your Mac. Choose "System Preferences" from your Apple menu, and click "Print & Fax", then "Faxing "for all sorts of options and details.

... I did say WITHOUT a modem connection.

Those efax type services work alright, but you'll be spending some $$$ on a subscription plan or a per fax basis to send & receive. They've become highly popular with some business people (REALTORS®, Mortgage Brokers, RE Investors, etc.)...so finding one that's free with any "abilities" is almost impossible. You'll have to pay for it. Some others include:

In the long run, if you have a landline to connect your computer to then your better off using the built-in features of OS X for faxing. If not, then one of those pay services will pretty much be required.

Back