FCP 4.0 Educational upgrade $399

pishnaris

Registered
That doesn't sound so good to me. It's the same as a non-educational upgrade. Could I be missing something here?

Considering all the new additions and apps with 4, newbies should use FCP Express instead to learn FCP. I never used express, but from what I've seen it starts newbies off where they can transition to the real thing later.

Apple's education discounts have been less than stellar recently. And they wonder why they are getting their clock cleaned by Dell in this arena...

Even FCE is only discounted by $50 off the original retail price. Compare this with Adobe or Macromedia's education software pricing... Premiere can be had for $99 education discount, Flash can be had for $99... etc.

Considering all the new additions and apps with 4, newbies should use FCP Express instead to learn FCP. I never used express, but from what I've seen it starts newbies off where they can transition to the real thing later.

Who said newbies? I said students. From your post, I assume that you were under the misconception that "educational" versions are to teach people how to use FCP, and are some sort of dumbed-down version. The truth is that educational prices are full versions of software for K-University level students (although i doubt any kindergardeners would be learning FCP). I have used FCP 3 since it came out and I need its features. I am good with it for now, but some of those new features are really enticing, but there is no way I could justify a $400 update, which is, as someone mentioned before, no discount whatsoever.

Originally posted by Urbansory
Thats very true, but Photoshop might change that since there is PS Elements now.

I don't think they will change the price for Photoshop. Elements has been out for a decent amount of time, and they haven't changed it yet.

And there hasn't been a new release of Photoshop yet, they don't have to, but they could. Thisbechuck you are right, the new features are what many will want, that might be what Apple was hoping for.

Yes, Elements and Photodeluxe, both low cost options, have existed for years and Adobe still made Photoshop available for a very low (under $100) academic price.

When FCP3 debuted, it's education price was $299. Now the upgrade to 4 is more than academic customers paid for FCP3! Kind of absurd, don't you think?

But yes, I believe this is due in part to FCE being positioned as their low cost entry in to the field. However, FCP4 now has several modules (Titler and Soundtrack) that aren't available (at least not yet) in FCE...

If you are at a University with a bookstore,once they get FCP4 their price might be lower than what you see at apple.com (here's the rub, my experience has been that ours is slow in getting things)
a couple of examples: if one goes to the standard Apple Store for Education, keynote is $79, while I went in and bought it for $59, also I ordered a new PB, and it was also less (-$150) than the education price on the web

Back