features vs. performance

functions vs performance

• i would rather see performance increases

• more perfomance, if i miss something important i'll let you know

• i would rather see more functions

Results are only viewable after voting.

edX

mac shaman
while looking over the new features for vb, i noticed that we have several of them enabled that specifically state that they decrease performance. some of these seem superfulous to me - like knowing who else is viewing the same thread at the same time you are. i'd like to hear from our contributing members as to whether you'd rather have more of these functions or perhaps a slight decrease in display time.

Performance issues are realitive to the size of the board, the number of people online, server, etc. If you turn off all those little tidbits which may not be of real value to the overall community, you won't see dramatic increases, you may not notice anything. The server itself is running fine and is not burdened by these additional quiries to the database.

The real issue we are facing now is available bandwidth. We are maxing it out. I have taken to steps to rid a site similiar to ours in size to help ease the pain.

The cost of increasing bandwidth is just not an option without more funding sources or contributions from members who have not donated.

Scott

well, so far everybody would at least like to see the difference so here goes. i'll turn off some things and we'll see what happens. still looking to resolve that annoying back button issue as well. anybody know the new vb well enough to know what causes this?

things i've disabled - somebody will miss at least one of these i'm sure but i've found them useless over time. and i am seeing a slight increase at the moment - less hangup before completing display. it could be because this is a lower bandwidth time, i can't say yet.

similar threads and similar posts listings
who else is viewing in same forum or thread

i am tempted to remove the chat client icons in the lower bar as well. all that info is in the profile for those who want it.

Good changes, I'd say. Performance, for me, is also about screen clutter. And it was a tad too much at the beginning, I think. Better now. (For me, at least.) Performance bandwidth and CPU wise seems to be better than before the switch to vB3b, I think. :)

This is a hard question to answer. Because this site is on a shared server, no way of splitting up the data. The webserver alone sends around 25GB of traffic a month. However, that doesn't include the thousands of emails that are sent or recieved for macosx.com mail accounts, etc. We have a 512k pipe (unlimited transfer) and this is shared. This is what is being maxed out for 16 hours each day. Of this pipe, how much does this site use? That is the big unknown. In fact, we are bursting to around 700k and the server is pushing out as much as 1mb/sec for several hours each day.

To increase bandwidth is expensive.

back button issue - this appears isolated to safari for some reason but wasn't the case before the upgrade.

basically the back button recalls an older search id and brings up a much older search or the following placeholder (see jpg). it doesn't do this with icab. i have been mentioning this in the what happened to new views thread. new view is all messed up for me with the update. it's driving me batty.

Attachments

• nomatches.jpg
    nomatches.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 5
edX said:
back button issue - this appears isolated to safari for some reason but wasn't the case before the upgrade.

Yes it was. At least for me. It wouldn't do it that often but sometimes it would, with the old version of Vb and Safari.

jeez, with 97 visitors right now - 27 members and 70 guests, this site is painful to try and do anything. any small increases the features gained are more than washed by the overloaded bandwidth.

scott- i've added more info on the back button issue over in the site discussion 'new view' thread.

It's basically a Safari problem. I tend to get this with various different board software, but also with other dynamically created pages/sites. The back button seems to access some kind of global history instead of the direct browser cache. I don't think it's something you can prevent in the board software.

no, it must be fixable. the vb forums themselves don't have this issue. but yes, there are some threads there about needing to change some code from global to specific for some browsers. this issue is being discussed more appropriately in the site discussion area in the 'new view thread' thread.

2 things:

1) I manage to avoid that back button issue by opening new threads in new tabs. I do this in both Safari and Netscape (in IE I would open them in new windows).

2) This site (and, Bob tells me, a number of other sites) has been going rather slowly for me of late—and in Netscape, threads usually load in a matter of a few seconds. I think anything you can do to ease bandwidth usage would be helpful, though i doubt turning off many features would help at the moment.

A couple features I'd like to see:

1) What happened to peoples' locations and AIM screen names? Locations have been moved strictly to profiles, and I can't see AIM names at all. If it were up to me, I'd put locations back into threads and AIM names into the contact area of the profile.

2) Um, I think that's it...

Back