Few NOOB questions

aj7v

Registered
i just got powerbook g4 15in..and got a few questions for you pros..

A) Wireless internet..does it connect automatically if there's a signal around?

B) I'm connected through a cable modem right now but moving to DSL when I go to school, do I have to change a lot of settings to connect? (connecting to cable was a pain for me)

C) With a steady wireless signal, what speed can i expect my connection to be?

D) It is safe to use an air duster to clean the keyboard and maybe even
screen?

I think that's it for now, thanx

A) Wireless internet..does it connect automatically if there's a signal around?

Many wireless networks will require a password, but for places that have free wireless, this won't be a factor.
Simply go into Apple menu --> System Preferences --> Network --> Airport. Start by setting it so that by default it connects to the most recent wireless network. Then click on "options" and where it says "If no recent networks are found:" set it to "Automatically join an open wireless network".

I'm connected through a cable modem right now but moving to DSL when I go to school, do I have to change a lot of settings to connect? (connecting to cable was a pain for me)

You shouldn't need to change any settings, and connecting to cable shouldn't be a hard thing either. I will give you this advice though. Connect using the ethernet cable to the cable modem, not USB, as using ethernet means you won't need to setup any drivers, etc.

D) It is safe to use an air duster to clean the keyboard and maybe even screen?

It should be fine. For cleaning my screen, I keep a re-sealable pack of LCD monitor wipes. I find I only have to use one every month or so. Just remember to be gentle, though, as LCD screens are made of glass.

aj7v said:
C) With a steady wireless signal, what speed can i expect my connection to be?
Depends on the card you use. If you have a newer Mac you'll no doubt use an AirPort Extreme card, which is rated at 54MB/sec. Either way (whether you use Extreme or the older card) you should see your Internet connection running at or very close to full speed.

symphonix said:
Just remember to be gentle, though, as LCD screens are made of glass.
LCD screens are made of glass? :p

Maybe not glass, but believe me, they can break just fine, if you use enough force. Also, you can destory single pixels by putting too much pressure on any one spot of the screen. Just: Careful. :)

BTW, make sure that you set up different "Locations" on your PowerBook so that if you do connect to multiple wifi connections that require passwords, you can save each Location for each wifi connection that way you don't have to keep changing passwords for different wifi spots.

Back