File and App permissions

jcleek

Registered
I have two accounts on my MacBook. Both are admin accounts. If I install or copy any application under "account a" and then sign on with "account b" account b has no access to the directory there fore cannot use said applications. They all have that little red circle with the white line through it....

Is this how OS X normally operates or do I need to set some setting some where ?

How to I set up OS X so all accounts can use all the applications that I install?

I have confirmed that I am installing/copying programs to the /Applications directory not the user specific applications directory......

That's weird. I always thought that by installing a program in the main Applications folder (not under your home directory) as an Admin, you're installing it for all users. Perhaps it's some weirdness involving 2 admins. All my Macs have multiple users, and if the Application is in the root Applications folder, everyone can use it. However, none of my macs have more than 1 admin.

I have never seen that before, and all Macs I've ever used have more than one admin account (as a safety net in case my own account self-destructs, which has happened in the past!)
Try repairing permissions in Disk Utility.

Back