File/Folder renaming issues

mindbend

Registered
Why oh why did Apple break the long proven technique for renaming files/folders? You know, the old click once, move out of the text area--now you're in edit mode. Nice and easy and fast.

Now Apple's own preferred approach (under Help/file "name a file") is to use the Return key. This is so silly. The Return key is on the right side of the keyboard and most mouse users are right handed. This means that I've got to place both hands on the right side just to rename a file. Then I have to pop back over to actually type in the new name.

I know this sounds petty and anal, but when there's a better way that's been used for twenty years, I see no need to make it worse.

Apple did sort of keep the old method, of course, but for some reason they upped the time-til-edit to almost a full second. Argh! Why?! Am I missing something. Is there some Unix-y reason for this slow down? Were they finding they morons were accidentally renaming files due to the short edit mode time? I couldn't find a preference for this, does one exist?

mindbend, maybe it's just to keep all the new mac users from accidently erasing their file names. so just slow down 1 second and do it like you've always done. i know it's confusing at first but in time it will become habit again.

happy holidays.:)

The thing I am about to show you is even more aggravating.

Put a folder of documents into list view. Now, like you said, when you click on a document's name, it takes a second for it to enter edit mode. But sometimes in list view, when you click on it and press return before the 1 second (if you are quick), what will happen is it will enter edit mode, and then when the 1 second comes up from the time you clicked in the file's name, it exits edit mode. So what happens is you go -- *click*, Return, and then you start typing the name and then it edits exit mode and it starts selecting the file that most closely matches what you are typing. VERY VERY ANNOYING!

The solution is to edit in column view or icon view, and sometimes the problem doesn't even happen in list view. I think it cannot be the root folder of a partition, and you have to be trying to edit a document in a nested folder of list view (you need to open a folder using the little flippy-triangle, and then edit one of the documents in THAT folder). What's so aggravating is that you get like half a second to edit your filename when the thing happens, and it's ALSO very aggravating that it doesn't happen all the time, because you think it's your fault, and then it does it again!

Anyone else notice this REALLY ANNOYING BUG?

Yes, I came across that when I was renaming a long list of iTunes-created MP3s that I wanted to be compatible with pre-X OSs in terms of naming. Man, was that a pain entering edit mode and every single stinking time getting bumped out and having to re-enter. This has GOT to be fixed!

This is simple stuff, guys [Apple]. At least relative to the complexity of other issues, like Classic, for example. My solution is simple. LEAVE IT LIKE IT WAS IN OS 9! That worked just fine. How can you break something like that? Or worse, why would you knowingly switch to a lesser effective option?

I'm always amazed by brilliant technical achievements marred by some totally moronic achille's heel.

Back