file manager?

Javintosh

Meember
has anyone had any luck installing a file manager to use with XDarwin?

I recently installed AbiWord and Gnumeric (to ditch Word and Excel). I would like to be able to double-click on a .doc or .xsl file and have it open in abiword or gnumeric.

I looked at the file manager called worker (which is listed in fink) but it requires XFree86 base files to be installed.

I'm a little worried that this might break XDarwin and/or OroborOSX.

Any suggestions for a file manager for XDarwin? Success/horror stories would also be great.:D

I don't get it - any GUI file manager you pick will need xfree86-base installed - that is XDarwin.

Or did you install the standalone, non-fink version of XDarwin?

I installed XDarwin before I knew that fink existed. However when I do a "fink list", darwin is listed there as beign installed and current:

i darwin 5.3-1 [virtual package representing the kernel]

xfree86-base, however, is listed as not installed.

any ideas? :confused:

Fink has a "placeholder" package of xfree86 for people that installed XDarwin without using fink. Check out this link for more info.

I checked fink and it has the Xfree86 placeholder package installed and it is current:

i system-xfree86 4.1-5 XFree86 placeholder package

I tried removing this package (to install system-xfree86), but this operation fails because other packages depend on x11. You;'d think htat this means that fink should recognize that x11 is there but then I get errors like these:
gtk+ depends on x11; however:
Package x11 is not installed.

I also tried to install xfree86-base, however, fink will not install this because it conflicts with system-xfree86 because both provide x11 (which according to fink is not true).

Weird. It seems that fink knows that system-xfree86 is there, but it does not seem to know that this provides x11.

Is there a way to manually tell fink that system-xfree86 provides x11?

Sorry if this is not a reply to your question, I am new in this X-world... Just a short question:
By using 'fink list' I do not see Abiword, Gnumeric or the Worker packages. I suppose that this is the case because they are not considered as stable by Fink. Did you install them by allowing Fink to list also the unstable packages, as described in Fink's home-page, or is there another method?
I found that there is an XAbiWord disk-image which can be downloaded from the Abiword home-page. The AbiWord.app application can be started by double-clicking an icon in Mac OS X, but that doesn't look like 'the real X thing'.... Am I right?

By the way, I also installed XFree86 before installing Fink. Now I would like to install a File Manager, so I hope I will provide you with a success/horror story, soon.

Well, I installed xfree86-base using fink, so I didn't see this problem. But I'd guess that gtk+ is looking for a different version of xfree86 than the one you've got installed. Try using 'sudo dselect', choosing option 3, marking gtk+ for installation (by selection it and hitting the 'plus' key on the keyboard). This should give you a listing of things that it depends upon. You can see the version that is needed by hitting 'i'.

Hope you can follow my description. And I hope I'm not just leading you into mayhem :rolleyes:

kgianno - yes, I used the instructions to get fink to list unstable packages. There's a lot more stuff available that way. :)

As for abiword, I actually installed XAbiword. I believe the only difference is that this has a Cocoa application which launches the standard abiword UNIX app.
To use Xabiword, you have to have XDarwin running (I would highly recommend OroborOSX to compliment XDarwin). When you click on the Xabiword application, you'll notice that it shows up on the dock and promptly quits. Abowrd will appear shortly afterwards.

If you install abiword through fink, you can still use OroborOSX to launch abiword (and other UNIX apps) from the Launch menu in the MacOSX menubar. This is pretty cool. The first time I installed Darwin, I closed all of the windows and could not figure out how to launch apps. :rolleyes:

OrobosOSX fixed this problem.

OroborOSX will launch (and quit) XDarwin and give you a cocoa menu to launch other UNIX apps. It will also give you icons you can doubleclick on to launch apps. However, for some reasons I can't use these with FruitMenu... I guess that's another problem. =>

In any case, once you launch AbiWord it is not the "real" X thing (as id OSX), but it is the "real" X thing as if XFree86. :D

I'm using XAbiword until the Cocoa version of AbiWord is finished. I'm also using MacGIMP (installed separately but upgraded through fink) until the Cocoa version is available.

But back to the original wierdness...

gtk+ is working because I am using GIMP successfully. I checked dselect and gtk+ is listed under the installed packages. It says that it depends on x11 and glib.

Is it possible that worker is hard wired to use xfree86-base and will not accept the virtual packages as being valid?

Are there other file managers out there that I could try? I don't even know worker. For all I know it might suck big time. Are you using a file manager for XFree86? if so, what is it?

THanks for all the help so far.

Back