File Share Between Mac OSX and W2K

joshuaadam

Registered
Hi all,

I'm a new Mac user who has fallen in love with my Powermac G5. I was wondering if anyone would mind explaining how I can share files over my Airport Express with a Compaq Presario 5006US outfitted with a DLink PCI wireless network card. Does it involve a Virtual Private network, and if so how do you do that?

I'm vaguely familiar with SOME of the OSX features, but I'm not exactly sure how to get it to "play nice" with my crabby Presario (which is running Norton Firewall).

If you can point me to a link, that would work also.

Thanks in advance folks!

If both have wireless capabilities, then all you need to do is select the "Network" selection when you open a Finder window. The Mac will automagically find all of the computers available on the network, be it SMB or AppleTalk. If it doesn't show, make sure you disable any firewall you have enabled on the Windows computer (or enable File and Printer Sharing to pass through the firewall).

If the Airport networking won't fly with the Presario, try a Bluetooth D-Link adapter. I got one for my (also crabby) Toshiba Satellite laptop (Win XP) to communicate with my PBookG4 and it's not only fast but it works like a charm. One great thing about Macs... there's usually more then one way to get around something ;-)

Macs rock!
Carolyn

Airport Express and other Airport products use standard 802.11x technology, meaning that depending on the Airport device, it will be either 802.11b or 802.11g. If it's 802.11a, it's basically obsolete unless you use something that is triband (802.11a/b/g) or another 802.11a device or AP. If by chance the wifi NIC on the Compaq laptop is only 802.11a, then you're toast. Otherwise, it should work fine. 802.11g is backwards compatible with 802.11b.

To me, it sounds like the Norton firewall is the issue (and if you're running XP SP2, then possibly the MS firewall as well).

Thanks for the help everyone! Disabling the firewall solved the problem.

My computers are now playing nice with each other. You folks are AWESOME!

Back