File shared volume won't dismount-permissions?

MLJ_osxcom

Registered
Just recently, when I mount a file shared volume and copy a file to it, subsequently it will not dismount. All I can do is FORCE QUIT the FINDER and then the remote volume will dismount.

DETAILS:

This occurs with an iMac 17' 1.25GHz G4 running 10.4.5 with current security updates, and remotely mounting a hard disk partition from a G4 933MHZ QuickSilver running 10.4.2.

The problem seems to occur if I copy to or from the remotely mounted volume. I don't think it really happened before and I can't think of anything I have changed to account for it.

One other note: the partition that does this is on a new hard disk I'd install on the remote 933 MHz G4, a Seagate 250GB drive. Curiously, the other partition on the same drive does not demonstrate the problem.

Further investigation shows the problem is ONLY happening when I copy to a particular backup folder nested two folders down from the main disk partition. The file copied just to the main disk icon does not cause this problem.

Does this mean it is some kind of permissions problem? And if so what do I look for to fix it?

I am the administrator on both Macs (different user names on each Mac) and sign in as the other admin user when I file share.

About all I can think of is some permissions error. But it does let me do the copy from or to without problems. It just won't dismount subsequent to the copy. Disk Utility won't dismount it either.

Thanks for comments.

Back