File Sharing Between 9.0.4 and X

mtc7501

Message Board God
As everyone has probably figured out by now, computers with OS 9 can access OS X file sharing. That's easy to set up.
I had a problem that i couldn't use my server while using X. I read the FAQ's and all, and set up Appleshare IP, and now, my X can access my file server.

Tip just in case somebody doesn't yet know!

um, no offense, but not everybody can fork over the $1500 for appleshare ip, and some people here are so cheap they don't even want to pay $30 for x itself. if you enable tcp/ip sharing, this works much better. of course, that's assuming you have the resources.

Dude, TCP/IP sharing _IS_ Appleshare IP. There's a server product (that includes a lot of other stuff), but I don't think that's what he's talking about.

TCP/IP sharing _IS_ Appleshare IP. There's a server product (that includes a lot of other stuff), but I don't think that's what he's talking about.

Dood, yes it's true that Appleshare IP has Appleshare over TCP/IP, but macboy 73 is probably refering to "enable sharing over TCP/IP" option available under 9.0.4 TCP/IP control panel Why use Appleshare IP when 9.0 already has it?

Speed for one thing!!

Personal file sharing over tcp uses Shareway IP extension. A tool for basic filesharing.

Appleshare IP is optimized for filesharing, devoting more system resources to it and making network operations a higher priority.

Also, I believe personal filesharing has a low max user count.

P.S. If you want machines to access your OSX box via appletalk (not over IP) there is a hack mentioned in the forums either here or osx.macnn.com

Good if you have 8.6 or lower.

This is exactly what I'm saying!

Originally posted by synaptojanin
TCP/IP sharing _IS_ Appleshare IP. There's a server product (that includes a lot of other stuff), but I don't think that's what he's talking about.

Dood, yes it's true that Appleshare IP has Appleshare over TCP/IP, but macboy 73 is probably refering to "enable sharing over TCP/IP" option available under 9.0.4 TCP/IP control panel Why use Appleshare IP when 9.0 already has it?

Back