file sharing between os 9/PC/UNIX

silverlode

Registered
I have a need to network three machines, one running OS 9, one Win 98, and one UNIX. I'd just like to be able to ftransfer files between the machines. I don't need help with the hardware side - i understand all that. I'm wondering if there's a way to mount volumes from one machine to the next. Do I need to do anything special to the UNIX box, etc.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Well, os9, by its self can only do AFP (Apple FileSharing Protocal), and it can do this via tcp/ip or AppleTalk.

Your unix box can be a client/server for AFP. As well as SMB. But your macs and win98 comps are very limited. Definately read up on samba and netatalk for unix.

I think your best option is to share common folders on your unix computer to your mac and your pc, using netatalk and samba. the folks on the yellowdoglinux mailing list know lots about netatalk and mac connectivity. Check http://lists.yellowdoglinux.com

If you want detalied information on this, just ask.

I really recommend using OS X for this kind of stuff, Apple has worked really hard to get OS X to support many filesharing-protocols and fileformats natively.

Just a suggestion-

believe me i wish i could use OS X! The environment is a film/music production studio where they use an SGI system for video rendering, a G4 running Pro Tools for audio recording (PT only runs in OS 9 and earlier), and PC workstations for admin staff, etc. I'll look into netatalk, etc.

Back