File Sharing between OS X and XP

walkerbk

Registered
I need help with file sharing between OS X 10.2 and Windows XP Pro on a home LAN. Here is the equipment list: Mac G4 dual 1.25 Ghz and a Pentium P III 1 Ghz connected to the internet through a Netgear RT314 Gateway router. The router is connected to a Westell ADSL modem running a static IP to the internet. The router is set to DHCP and is handing out IP’s to the two boxes. Both boxes can browse the internet and send and retrieve mail. IP’s are as follows: Mac, 192.168.0.2, Pent, 192.168.0.3, router, 192.168.0.1. I can ping from the Pent to the Mac and the router. I can ping from the Mac to the router but not to the Pent. The “Connect to Server” command in OS X finds the Pent. IP using “smb” but can’t connect. I have set up share folders on the Pent. The user names and passwords are the same on both machines. The users have admin privileges and are set to allow windows file sharing. I have enabled Netbios over TCPIP on the Pent. The XP firewall is disabled. File and Printer sharing is enabled in XP. The workgroups are the same on both machines. The share names on the XP box are: Document, My Documents, and MyDocuments. The shares show up and are active in My Network Places on the Pent. I have tried to connect to the Pent using the computer name as well as the IP. Here is an example, smb://walkerb/documents or smb://192.168.0.2/documents.

Make sure your personal firewall is off on the Windoze machine.
I have the exact same router (and multiple Macs/PCs) so I know this works.

I just installed XP on my Bro's Toshiba Laptop. Kinda had to, since WinME was crashing twice a day.

WinXP networking is new to me. I know previous vers of WinBlows though.

I did the network setup assistant. Bloody Micro$oft! Their whole technique is so redundant, complicated and inconsistant!

At the end, I went back to my mac, saw in my system preferences, under sharing, with the windows sharing on (the description it says for windows users to login).

I added my bro as a user. On his end, I just added a network place (i.e. \\168.2.1.1\myname). And it works - he can log into my system. I made his C:\ shared, so I can see his drive.

Hope that helps....just check out your system prefs, under the sharing! :->

Back