file sharing gone mad

free&unmuzzled

International Playboy
I have been experiencing a weird file sharing problem where after losing a connection to a network volume, re-connecting causes a number to be appended to the name as if some part of the os still thinks the volume is connected. Is this a known issue? anyone else seeing this?

here's a screenshot to show you what i mean http://www.freeandunmuzzled.com/junk/sharinggonemad.jpg , tokyo and reykjavik (without the numbers) are the names of two volumes on my lan.

That's actually quite normal -- I have seen it in other situations too. I'm not sure exactly when -- it might be like if 2 disk images have the same name when they are mounted so OS X has to differentiate between the two. It's entirely possible that when you use the network connection, UNIX might think that its still connected, or it just wants to name it something else just to make sure there are no conflicts.

er... yeah, but the volume ISN'T connected. note there is no reykjavik or tokyo WITHOUT a number appended. this is a bug not a feature. I chose to connect to reykjavik in the connect to server dialog and I got reykjavik-1. as for reykjavik-2 it, and all the other volumes, appeared when i logged in after logging out to try and clear the problem.

but yes, it seems something THINKS reykjavik and tokyo are connected although they do not show up in the finder.

has anyone seen a tech note on this?

Back