File sharing: PC and Mac (?)

JonKemerer

Registered
Simple question I'm sure. I know absolutely NOTHING about networking in the slightest. Here's some verbage for ya: Here's a bowl, it's pretty, it's clear, yet there's nothing in it. The total volume taken up in the bowl represents in its entirety the collective knowledge I have on networking two computers together. Get the idea? ;)

All I want to do is share files between a PC and Mac Mini (which I don't own yet). No internet sharing, possibly sharing a printer, no home stereo.

What hardware will do the job for both computers? Is an Airport Express all I need (the one for $129)? If anything else is required, what else? No need to explain how to set it up. Just the hardware needed.

Thanks much in advance.

If you are going with wireless, which I recoomend, You will need 3 things:
A wireless card for your pc.
An airport card in the mac mini.
An airport base station.

By the way, you don't need to use Airport Express. You can connect the two computers using an ethernet cable. It's cheaper, and usually easier if they're in the same room, though if they're in different places you'll need to start thinking about running cables, at which point using Airport is just easier. I'd recommend the Airport option if you're not on a tight budget, it is a lot less hassle.

Thanks again Dan, much appreciated.

symphonix: I was up until 4 AM last night trying to understand this stuff, and wired is the way I wanted to go originally anyway,... but less wires had me hooked. I'm gutting the room right above me where the Mini will go later down the road, and the PC is right below in my studio, so with a simple wire fish down the wall I could easily connect the two together. Later down the line I'd like to add a third PC (or even another Mac). Running cables isn't too much of a big deal in this old house, since there's no insulation to muck things up... knock on wood.

But the idea of not running wires has me spoiled. No matter how "easy" a project seems, it NEVER goes as planned. But, then comes speed... 54 versus 100 mbps... hmmmm. I do a lot of video work, so transfering a lot of 250+ MB files won't be uncommen. Though I'm a patient fellow, the faster the better (still have a 4x CD burner :D)

I have to wonder if Firewire is a possbility here? I wonder if length impacts the transfer speed, and if there's Firewire routers out there? Ideas?

Firewire would not a realistic option for long distances.

Get yourself a Linksys Ethernet switch and connect the machines together with Ethernet. You'll be glad you did. Although wireless has a theoretical speed of 54 Mbps, it will never come close to acheiving that.

And while you don't need a switch to connect just two computers, you'll be glad you have one down the road.

Wade

Back