File Sharing/Remote Access doesn't seem to work

mth71

Registered
I've been having major problems trying to get file sharing (Windows File Sharing, Remote Login, and FTP Access) to work on my Mac (10.2.4). I've tried many times to get it to work, but without any success. I've gone to System Preferences->Sharing and select the services that I want to start, then make sure that the firewall is off for each of them. I make note of the instructions that OS X provides for connecting using the appropriate method and the given IP address, then try either giving those instructions to family members (on other computers in other states) for them to try logging into my computer, and also for me to log in from my computers at work, but I always get a timeout error, and none of my family members can connect, either, and I don't understand why. I have a cable modem that uses the DHCP server to get an IP address - do I need to use a static IP address instead?

What I'm ultimately trying to do is set up a VNC connection between my machine and my mom's, allow my brother to transfer files, and so I can log into my computer from work (either Windows or AIX) so I can access my Postgresql database so I can demonstrate it, but nothing seems to work. Is there something to do with the subnet mask and/or router info? I would have thought that simply following the instructions given by the File Sharing preferences would have worked. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Mark

Salve mth71,

Is your Mac directly connected with your cable modem?

Are you sure your ISP isn't blocking your outside initiated connections?

What happens if you connect your Mac via dial-up?

As long as you somehow know your Mac IP address, no need to be a static IP address.

Please, restart your Mac's firewall as soon as possible.

woststr said:
Salve mth71,

Is your Mac directly connected with your cable modem?
Yes.

woststr said:
Are you sure your ISP isn't blocking your outside initiated connections?
I'm not sure. I was going to give Cox Communications (my ISP) a call, but I decided I'd check with your folks on here first. I will check with my ISP tomorrow.

woststr said:
What happens if you connect your Mac via dial-up?
I don't have a landline, so that's not an option.

woststr said:
As long as you somehow know your Mac IP address, no need to be a static IP address.
Okay. I wasn't sure if a dynamic address would somehow make a difference. I've read a few articles that suggested using a static IP address, but I wasn't sure for the reason.

woststr said:
Please, restart your Mac's firewall as soon as possible.
Will do! Isn't it required for the firewall to be disabled, though, in order to connect from the outside?

Thanks for the questions pointing me in the proper direction. Hopefully I'll get this thing sorted out soon. I appreciate the reponse.

Mark

Ok, so the Mac has a public IP, and you need to make sure it is listening for your connections. Open a terminal window and enter " netstat -f inet -l ", you should see a line with your public IP address and your listening services as in "1.2.3.4:22" for your ssh remote login, "1.2.3.4:21 for ftp, and so on. For windows file sharing, you will need to establish a vpn. Or connect locally other station and try login via ssh to your Mac.

The firewall is there for your security AND convenience (bad guys think the firewall, like your security, is inconvenient ;-). Just the opened ports will receive external connections (anyone will also get through opened ports in your firewall, so take care of your logs!). If you don't understand the firewall job, don't share your files, try starting with ssh (no trivial passwords here).

Back