File Vault

MichaelSchultz

Registered
Anyone know how to turn off Filevault? I have an iMac G5 with 148GB HD, 128GB spare, and yet filevault tells me I don't have enough space to switch off filevault - I get a message saying I need 3000. I have tried moving and deleting stuff in my home folder (and caused myself a few hassles as a result). What's the problem?

Michael

Yes - I have done that, but it tells me I need 3,896 GB of space to turn off filevault. That can't be right - I don't know of a mac with a hard drive that big!

Hi Michael,

I'm having the same issues. I posted to apple discussions and macosxhints today. No answers yet, though it seems this has been a problems for many folks.

Here's a background (copy of other posts)...

{ibook G4, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB HD, 10.4 OSX}

Unknowing to all of the problems people have encountered with Filevault, I turned it on several weeks ago, well, just cause it sounded like a good idea.

Soon thereafter, the system noticibly slowed during every task I had asked it to perform. Last night, after using MTR to backup my paid-for Sopranos season, it informed me that there was not enough room on the desktop for the disc image. (I delete the files once copied to DVD)

I've got around 10GB of itunes in the shared folder, a few gigs of photos, and not a whole lot else. I swept my HD using OmniDiskSweeper to find the source of drive consumption. It says my sparseimage for my account is 28 GB large and wont let me access it directly through the HD on ODS. It will however, let me access the image in it's first list of drives, and when swept, says I occupy 5 GB with my home folder.

Of course, now I try to turn Filevault off. Not enough room on HD for this to happen. It asks for 4TB's of space for the temporary encripted folder.

Freaked out to lose all I have there, I used Toast 7 to make backups of the shared folder, the other users account, and the guts of the sparseimage. (Toast says the sparseimage took 0kb of space on the DVD when I dumped that in, so I opened my folder first and threw in all of the contents which equaled about 5 GB and took out the sparseimage.)

Now what? How should I make sure the 4 DVD's I have copied have everything I need?

If they do, then what? Should I delete everything taking up space in my account so Filevault can make room to deactivate? (I doubt I really need the 4TB it says) Or should I just perform a erase and install...please say this isn't so.

Obviously a newbie here, any help much appreciated.

Back