Filemaker Pro 8 Advanced

SAFD1450

Registered
I got filemaker pro 8 advanced today and I cannot get it to install. I have a powerbook 1.67 ghz w/ osx 10.4.5. I mount the file then start the install everything goes ok, I enter the serial as asked, it accepts the serial then goes to the easy install menu. I then click ok to start the install and it starts. It gets about 25% done then stops without any error message and goes back to the easy install menu. It then just becomes a loop. If you click install again it goes to the install and gets about 25% and then goes back to the easy install menu. I think it may be the software, but I tried downloading the trial straight from the website www.filemaker.com and it does the exact same thing. I also have access to filemaker pro 8(not advanced) and it does the same thing as my version of filemaker pro 8 advanced. I did get filemaker pro 7 to install with no errors, worked fine the first time. But 8 refuses to install for me. Is there anything that I can do that anyone knows of to help? I will give anything a try. I already tried searching the website for any refrence to filemaker, but nothing related to my error. I also tried the god (www.google.com) but no answers from him (maybe I asked the question wrong). Please help.

No the demo that comes from the website is a dmg. So it has to be mounted. I am in the US Army and have access through them to all these resources. Thanks for the concern about a pirated copy, but I would not post to this site if I were doing something illegal. Now if someone could give me some help I would really appreciate it. I need to get moving on this database, but I hate using M$ Access. I'm changing the Army over to Macs one at a time. I also just got the budget to get a mac server :)

The U. S. Army knows a little about Macs. It has used Macs for its web servers since the 1990's. Something about security, as I recall. At any rate, you need to make sure that you have sufficient hard drive space on your computer. Other than that, it you haven't given enough information upon which I can even make an informed guess--or even an uninformed guess. Refusal of the software to install is unusual behavior. You need to give some hint of what might be unusual on your system.

Is there anything you would like to know to start off? I mean its a very basic Powerbook. I do not have any antivirus software. Firewall is off. I havnt upgraded anything really. Tiger 10.4.5. I have a few programs, mostly like M$ office, Toast, of coarse iwork and ilife, Firefox, Virtual PC so I can run a program that the army uses that is only made for M$, Stuffit, and Adobe cs2. I have made no physical modifications to my mac. Straight from the factory. The newest powerbook except the new intels. 512mb ram. Thats all I can think of. If there is anything else that you need to know just ask please. I would really like to get this working. Oh and I just wanted to say thank you MisterMe. It seems like we got off to a rock start. I appreciate the help and that thing about teaching the army was meant more as a joke. I know the army uses macs for certain things. They also use them in some aspects of the aviation world (which I work in) I work on helicopters. Thanks again.

The only other thing that I can think of to explain your problem is that you may be trying to install into a directory for which you don't have permission. If you have an administrative account, you can install in the Macintosh HD/Applications/ folder. If not, you can install only in /Macintosh HD/Users/SAFD1450/Applications/ or a directory at this level. Under no circumstances can you install stuff in the mounted .dmg disk image file.

Hi,

You could try posting your problem on the www.fmforum.com. I've used them a lot for Filemaker problems and have found them very helpful.

You could try creating a new user account with administrator privileges and installing it there or getting another copy of the disk image just in case it has been corrupted in some way.

Good luck

Good luck

Thanks for all the help and the link. Ill try that. I am the administrator, I have also tried the two other accounts that have admin accounts. Also to BGprinting, thanks for that info but right now I do not have any kind of server on my powerbook, I was talking about getting OSX server on another computer. Well if anybody has any other tips I will try anything.

Have you try to uninstall the program? This should clear up the problem.

Do you like your FileMaker Pro?

I was told that I need to buy a FileMaker Server 8 Advanced and a FileMaker Pro 8.5 in order to use the search on my website (i.e. not the Google engine search, let you to search some words on my website).

I don't believe him, but I need your help. I think that Apple OS X Server is an alternative for me to use it instead of the FileMaker Server 8 Advanced. Am I correct?

(Are the Server 8 and Mac OS X Server have the similiar program?)

Back