files dont open in classic :(

nickholl

Registered
None of my classic apps files are opening with their applications! - I click on the file - the relevant application loads up - but no file! - the only way I can open them is by the open dialogue box from within the applications!

I also cant drag the icons onto the dock to open them

Ive set the app in info box - ive also rebuilt classics desktop as suggested - but to no avail :(

your help would be greatly appreciated as this is veeeeeery frustrating :(

many thanks

so you can open the app, then open the file?

but you can't click on a file and get the app to open a window after it launches. Does this happen with all classic apps or just a few? this sounds more like a recognition problem than anything else, but then it shouln't launch app when you click on file:confused:

some apps, especially browsers, have a preference as to whether to open a new window when they are launched or not. but they still should open a clicked file.

please give us more info about your specs and anything else thtat you have tried to fix it.

im using a PB667 - 512mbram - OS9.2.2 and OSX.1.1

All classic apps are affected :( - flash, photoshop, illustrator are the only ones ive tried (the only ones i really need to use)

when clicked (or dragged onto an icon) the application is loaded but not the file - there's posts on other sites of this exact same problem but with no solution :(

your help would be sooooooooooo greatly appreciated :)

and this is with all files, new and old? ie - created under the new system and under old? and if you boot in 9, how does it work?

also try launching some non graphics files and see if that makes any difference.:confused:

all applications :-( all files ive tried. For some reason if I try and open a text file in simpletext it says it cant because the files already in use?!

if I boot from within 9 all works fine

thanks again for your help

sorry i disappeared today - celebrating Yule with my family. I won't be round tomorrow either as i am going on a day trip with them.

sorry the thread doesn't give me any clues. I think the person means they can't paste copy from a classic app to an osx native ap. this is not normal. I can copy and paste between them. it just takes a little longer than normal.

Have you tried installing the new 10.1.2 update? always a chance it might fix it. I also wonder if running an app called Xoptimize might help. it prebinds your apps to the system so they are easier for the system to find. it can be found by searching www.macupdate.com.

if anybody else could help brainstorm this it would be appreciated. the more we can figure out what it's not, the closer we will be to what it is!!!

i guess i would also want to make sure you have tried all other standard repair and diagnostic procedures. fsck in single user mode, zapping the pram, disk first aid, a good 3rd party repair program, defragmenting and optimizing your hard drive & praying to the computer gods!!!

cheers for that - Apple dont seem to have posted the update on their site yet?! - is there a reason for this or are they just not pushing it yet?

will try installing when im on a faster connection :)

thanks for your help

apple doesn't seem to put updates on the site until afew days after the release. even then you normally have to go to the recent update page to find them. no idea why.

let's hope the update fixes your problem. if not, we'll keep plugging. i will be around the site on and off most of the next 2-3 days.

:( = the update hasnt made a jot of difference :-( - this ONE problem has stopped me from using OSX :-( - up untill now I didnt have any problems with using it :-(

its such a shame and so infuriating

guess i would also want to make sure you have tried all other standard repair and diagnostic procedures. fsck in single user mode, zapping the pram, disk first aid, a good 3rd party repair program, defragmenting and optimizing your hard drive

so which of these have you tried?

well I reformatted my whole computer yesterday - partioning into 3 drives - reinstalling everything from scatch - and from the moment I started it was doing the same thing - I guess this meens that it must be something to do with the drive or something? :(

what diagnostic apps come preinstalled?

thanks again for your help - much appreciated

I just used disk doctor - it found a couple of minor errors that I fixed - hasnt made a difference though

just on a seperate note - you dont know when Flash or Photoshop will be coming out carbonised? these are the only two programmes (bar illustrator) that I use a lot of files for

disk first aid is the only tool that comes with system. you can also do the fsck command in single user mode ( search this site for fsck - lots of instructions on how to do this)

defraging and optimizing requires 3rd party software. i will advise on this if you want. my info is on one of recent threads in general discussion about 10.1.2 already if you can find it.
you really ought to plan to spend some money on this unless you plan to regularly reformat to solve problems. which is stupid in my opinion.
all of these come with a good diagnostic & repair program.

this is confusing that it continues after reformat.:confused:

mmmmm very strange - i didnt zero the harddrive - as that would have takeb forever - would that have made a difference?

actually i might give apple a ring (more fool me) Ive payed enough money for the support - i might as well see what they have to say :rolleyes:

i haven't had to reformat a hd since about 1988, so i wouldn't know about zeroing. I also don't know anything about your programs as i am not a graphic designer. i am pretty sure there are other threads on the site that discuss these if you search for them.

hey, can anbody else jump in here??

mmmm... perhaps its the format the hard drives are - ive used extended

all I know is that im not formatting again - just to find it doesnt work again - ill just keep on waiting and hoping

just realised - ive left mi bloomin apple support box at home - im at mi parents for christmas - doh!

Back