files dont open in classic :(

hfs+ (extended) is the right way to format for osx. do not format standard. i don't think a reformat will be necesssary. I have come close to it before, but have always managed to solve the problem without reformatting.
since this probblem is a major inconvience but does not keep you from getting work done, sticking with it till solved would be what i would do.

when you reinstalled software, did you do it one app at a time or just dump everything back on? clean installs of apps or just copying old ones back?

fsck says everything is alright?

and you did all your updates with software update?

if you have done everything i asked about earlier except for run a defrag & optimize which would be the same as reformatting, then i am pretty stumped at this point to.

the only things i think are sure here are that it is a file recognition problem of some sort. it is probably not in the hardware or else 9 would not work either. it is not in your preferences as those would have defaulted after you reformatted.
the only thing i can guess, and this is a guess, is that it still might have something to do with your volume structures. a quick reformat only erases the directory, it does not actully erase the disk. so you still may have problems with directory recognition. the cheap way money wise is to do the ful reformat (AAAGH!!!). the cheap way time and sanity wise is probably to buy a better repair and diagnostic utility.
I would recommend Diskwarrior for this. I was able to restore recognotion to my external harddrive using it on the internal drive after disk first aid, fsck, norton and techtool pro had all failed. I certainly can't promise it will work for you on this but i will say it is worth the investment of about $75 in the long run. You can buy it online at www.alsoft.com. you can download and run immediatly if you have a seperate disk to launch it from. I would pay the extra shipping charges and get a boot disk which includes plus optimizer for defraging. it takes about 1-2 weeks to ship.

i'm lost for now otherwise. sorry.
but just out of curiosity, if you have the dock anywhere but on the bottom, try moving it back to bottom and see if problem is still there. unless you have already tried this of course.

:confused: :confused:

I havent tried fsck yet - Ill try that now - I always have the task bar at the bottom.

----

ive just had a quick skoot on this fsck but am still confused to what it is?!

you couldnt shed some light could you? :)

after Ive tried this - I think we'll call it a day :(

just did te fsck command - it said that the volume OSX appeared to be ok - it didnt say anything about the other volumes - dont know how to do it for those.

I must say, its the first time ive seen anything like that on a mac! - veeeeery weird.

I also tried deleting a few preferences (as said in other threads and by apple) but this also didnt work

from what I can gather around varioud forums - a lot of people are having this problem - and nobody can figure out how to fix it

I might just hold fire for a little while - might invest in Disk Warrior as well

thanks for all your help

yea ,the fsck thing freaked me out the first time i did it too. this is a part of the linux underlinings of osx. the more i learn about it, the more i begin to understand how it might be helpful. of course it causes some headaches we never had to deal with before.

my understanding is that diskwarrior is the same price with or without the cd. but by buying the cd as well as downloading, you get plusoptimizer (a $29 value) on the disk for the price of shipping. it is a very good defragmentation and optimization program. you will use it many times to bring some speed back to your system.

what a crazy way to spend a holiday, dealing with something like this!! hope you find some ways to enjoy yourself and put this aside for awhile. happy holidays:p

have just got home from the pub :)

will put this to rest now me thinks :)

have a great christmas

and thanks for our help ;-)

hmm, links from apple support groups never work. how about copying and pasting the relevant info for us?

btw - had very nice holidays, thanks for asking!! hope that nite at the pub didn't stay with you the next morning:D

mmmm.... the pub was good thanks :)

heres what the guy said (which worked for me)

Hi,

I have also experienced a similar problem with double clicking in classic after returning to the UK from California and changing the time zone.
This is how I fixed it:
-first delete the files classic, classic support and classic support UI located in the OS 9 system folder.
- restart classic - the three files are automatically recreated
- change time zone to Pacific Standard Time
- restart computer from OS X
- change date manually to UK time without changing the time zone

I hope Apple will put this right permanently!

and since i live in the pacific time zone (apple is about an hour away) then this problem wouldn't effect me. that is another of the wierd bugs - like having to keep the dock at the bottom in 10.1!!

again i wonder how anybody would have thought to find it as an answer:p

just hope Apple are picking up on these- they shouldnt be hard to fix surely

now all ive got to do if figure out how to use fonts :p - got a demo of suitcase 10.1 and for the life of me I cant get it to use any of my old fonts in OSX!

ggggrrrrr......

Back