Fileshare between two OSX macs via modem?

brianleahy

Colonel Panic
Is anyone aware of a way to enable file sharing between two Macs running OSX using a direct dial-up - that is, modem to modem, no internet involved?

Seems bizarre that this would have been dropped, since it was available in OS9.

If it's not available in OSX - does anyone know if perhaps it's possible with OSX Server?

Truthfully, I've never seen this supported since early days of DOS. You've really got me wondering now though. Where was the option in OS 9?

I'm looking around for some CLI apps that might work for that purpose.

One of the last few versions of OS9 prior to the initial release of OSX included dial-in capability in the "Remote Access" control panel. This was originally part of a seperate product called "Remote Access Server", but was rolled into OS9 at some point.

ok, I was aware of that setting. I was under the impression that it didn't even require access to a phone line. (Basicaly a cross over cable for modem to modem access)

Because they are at greatly distant locations. (Ohio and Florida) and one is using a DSL router that gives the Mac a bogus fake TCPIP address. Naturally, that's the one that needs to be able to connect unattended.

pppd can do this. Read the pppd man page, and try looking at FreeBSD.org if you need more info. You'll have to at least create a /etc/pppd.conf file and start pppd on one machine. Then you can simply dial in as normal from the other.
I haven't done this particular variation on a BSD system, so I don't have more specific advice than that, but the short answer is: if you're not afraid of the command line, this is very do-able.

-alex.

Your DSL is configurable to get a real IP address, or at least map the incoming connections to a specific IP address. You can go into your modem (router) configuration utility and there should be either a port mapping or NAT settings menu in there. Then what you want to do is find out what port the file transfer protocol uses, and map that port to the IP address that the computer has (more than likely a 192.168.XXX.XXX from how you are describing it). What this will do is any incoming connections to the DSL will be routed to that computer and you'll have it working fine with the DSL.

There's really no reason to waste the DSL service when you have it!

-Juxel

You know, depending on how often you do this, since one mac already has dsl, it may be cheaper just to get a local dialup account with an isp and just do simple tcp/ip stuff to have the machines talk. Around here you can get a cheapo account for $10/month. If your long distance bills are larger than this, then it seems that this would be the simplist way to go. If security is a concern you could also have the modemed mac vpn into the dsl'ed mac.

Barring that, pppd is the way to go if you really want to be able to dial in. Never done it on the Mac, but, and I know I'm on thin ice saying this here, but setting up WinNT or Win2K to be a ppp server is dead easy and works like a charm.

Actually, one Mac has DSL and the other has a cable modem/airport setup, so a modem-free connection is ideal. I just assumed that getting in through the DSL router would not work. If I can get that going, it'll be perfect.

Unfortunately, it'll be a couple weeks before I will be able to get near the DSL'd Mac, so I won't be able to try it immediately. Ah well.

It might help if you explained why you need to "connect" the two macs? Are you trying to transfer files? Is security an issue? For simple file transfers, you could just use ftp and as long as your isp is not blocking any incoming ports, you should be ok. If you need the security of vpn, then you still have the blocked ports issue as well as the fact that some routers deal with vpn better than others.

Yes, file transfer is the issue. (As I said, 'file sharing' - not 'connecting'.) Specifically, file transfer that can be operated by some not-super-savvy individuals, who would have a stroke if required to use the command line. They've been using an iDisk to transfer files - which works great, but requires somebody at each machine. Now they want to be able to browse the remote hard drive when nobody is physically at the Ohio machine.

Security is not a big issue, though if some can be achieved simply, (apart from just the standard username/password) then hey, bonus!

Then ftp is for you. I'm not in front of my Mac right now so I don't know if it starts inetd by default and has ftpd enabled, but I assume it's a simple matter to get them setup. You can create an account and specify a "base" directory for that user. They can then use some ftp tool (in os9,8,7 days that would be something like fetch) that has a graphical interface that allows them to navigate and then send/receive files easily. This would require no user intervention on the "server" end.

Just be certain to get the accounts setup carefully because you are allowing read/write access to your machines to anyone who can log on. Make sure you disable anonymous logons. Probably best to create an account that only has access to those directories that are absolutely neccessary. You can password protect the files you send (stuff or zip) for security, though keep in mind that the ftp username/password are sent cleartext back and forth. This may or may not be a concern for you.

If you need help with the configuration once you're at the router just drop me an e-mail and I'll get back to you very quickly.

-Juxel

Get yourself an AirPort base station w/a modem. it'll allow you to serve up the internet like a dial-up ISP from your DSL connection to the phone line, and give you access to the entire local area network and any networked printers you may have.

easy as pie.

Back