FileSharing Startup in OS9

evildan

Super Moderator
I'm not much of an os 9 user now-a-days. I've left that area of my brain and haven't looked back.

Although the other day, I was working along to find that my one OS9 machine on my LAN dropped it's connection one day. It's a G3 and was running os 9.0.4.

A few days passed, I never need to connect to this machine so I didn't pay the problem much attention.

Anyway, long story short, I need to connect to that machine now... and FileSharing will not start up.

I've tried the following.

Thinking it was the CAT-5 wire
I checked the wire with a laptop. Started up from os9 and x. (worked fine)

Thinking it was the software on the G3
I updated the system software up to 9.2.2
I also deleted a few FileSharing Prefs.

I should also mention, I can see the other machine on the LAN from that machine just fine. Connection establishes and everything.

My problem is no other machine on the LAN can see it... becuase when I try to start up FileSharing it never finishes starting up. The sequence starts and goes on forever.

Does anyone have any ideas I could try? I'm sure I can figure it out, but I'm in a bit of a mind lock... and maybe I'm just quick to post here first... gotta get those Number of Posts up huh?

I've had this problem, if you look at the help center, even Apple provides some solution.

1. Delete Filesharing prefs. Restart.
2. Delete Users and Groups folder. Restart.
3. Zap P-RAM.
4. Re install System.

Things I've found that worked sometimes. Disconnect the ethernet cable, from the computer. Turn on FileSharing, wait until it turns on (sometimes it does), plug the ethernet cable back in, everything should then work.

Note: you can plug & unplug ethernet cables safely.

Back