Filesystem Keys?

Well, i am in a pickle. I came home early last thursday, and turned on my G4. Over the next...hour or so? it repeatedly either
  • froze with the coloured cursor and the gray screen or
  • flashed that little folder telling me there's no valid system disk
the worst part is, i think once, it might have booted up. i can't remember exactly. anyway. i ran the osx disk utility, (from the install cd) and it said that the system partition had... damaged keys, or the keys are out of order.. i'm at tafe now so i cant check unfortunately. anyway. i tried to repair it and it did nothing. i got sick of it, and reinstalled onto the same drive (after i reformatted it) it was ok long enough to get it setup, install some stuff, and download the 10.1.3 update manually so i have it on disk. i got back to 10.1.4, and then...guess what. same thing again. i don't think its 10.1.4, because i had that for a while before the problem. ive installed onto a completely different hard drive, and it seems to be ok. any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? once, when i booted into X, from the install onto a 2nd hdd, the original system partition wouldn't even mount. i have this funny feeling it's either a problem with the disk physically. thanks for any help, i'm kinda screwed without the machine.

QP

Back