Final Cut Pro 4, DVD Studio Pro 2 and Shake 3

gee thanks, as if we didnt have two posts about it already ;)

im going to merge it with the other

Hi,

I've used shake in the past, great bit of software, just hope Aple don't tinker with the interface too much. Having said that, I do prefer Discreet's compositing software, if youthought $5000 was a lot, try $250,000, lol. But combustion is only about a grand now, useed to be several thousand. Which brings me on to a very shrewd and cynical view of Apple's pricing, why the heck are they charging almost double for the Irix version? Oh, I remember, they're probably going top discontinue it and force us all to go onto Apple hardware to use it. I use Macs as much as I can, but when it comes to high-end film/hdtv compositing, the Mac can't compete with a good SGI machine, the system can churn huge chunks of video through it without blinking, the Mac and PC's just die doing that. Oh wel, guess it means Apple must be making hardware with bus speeds to match my SGI Octane, I wish.

sub

Mind you, I can see why Apple might charge less for the OS X version compared to Irix/Linux. The Irix versionis tried n tested, the Mac port might lack a number ofkey feautures, I'm not sure,but if it did, then I could understand the price difference. Also, the Mac versin by its very nature will be underpowered compared to the Irix version due to certain limitations of the Mac hardware for data throughput.
But assuming for a second that in a few revisions the price difference is still there, I will suspect that Apple is making us move over to X, there has been so much controversy ever since Apple bought Shake, many of us in this inndustry are VERY sceptical about Apple's intentions.

Originally posted by fryke
Apple has an interest to inform the movie people about those releases even if they're not yet readily available. Remember: This isn't 129$ software... There's budgets to be calculated. ;)

And to make sure they don't buy Adobe's DVD software. Which, by the way, supports 4 DVD burners. Thats right 4! :eek:

I've used DVD studio Pro and I cant wait to try version 2!!

Back