Final Cut Pro to gain IMX, P2 support

ylon

Registered
Wow, I was really impressed when I saw this. What do you think about these couple of lines?

"Apple Computer disclosed some of the new features planned for the next version of Final Cut Pro. ...the future version of Apple's non-linear editing (NLE) software will gain support for MPEG-2 IMX, and Panasonic's P2 format. The addition of the extra formats is a result of new found partnerships between Apple and third parties...

"MPEG-2 IMX is a breed of the MPEG codec used in camcorders such as Sony's MSW900 and PDW530, which produce higher quality footage than conventional MPEG-2. Only high-end systems such Sony's XPRI and Pinnacle's Liquid Blue currently support the format."

I'm very impressed that there are only two companies mentioned here regarding the IMX format. I am equally impressed that there were offers extended earlier in the year to Sony for a partnership to help move the iTunes music store along. It seems to me that these two correlate in that perhaps this is the olive branch that Apple is showing forth in order to allow for future, larger alliances between the two companies...

The Panasonic info is interesting as well, but doesn't seem to hold as quite as large of import as the prior note.

Any thoughts or conjectures?

Back