Final Cut Studio

gabrielleitao

Issac Newton loves Apple
This thread I just created is for everybody who uses Apple Final Cut Studio or related software, discuss here, ask questions, give answers, support, and learn. :) So anybody is welcome here if you want to talk about it, or learn how to use it propertly, lets share it here.

I will start with a question: On final Cut Pro, someone told me its better to put Audio as AIFF files, and Video files as MOv files? Which formats ais better, for every circoustances (quality, size...) for edition on Apple Final Cut Pro? Can I use the software that came with Final Cut Studio, called Compressor to convert my video and audio files? If not, what application can I use to convert them and for what do you use Compressor?

I basically want to convert MP3, MP4, AVI, MPG, OGM files.

Thanks, any help will be appreciated, and, welcome to this thread...

Gab

Hey there, turbo! That's a lot of questions!...

I will start with a question: On final Cut Pro, someone told me its better to put Audio as AIFF files, and Video files as MOv files?

Yes, it is better to put in good ol' CD-quality AIFFs (44100kHz, 16-bit, Stereo or higher) AIFFs.... Final Cut doesn't like MP3s for some reason, and I have seen FCP play them a little weird with pops and stuff, when I have tried. Stick with AIFF... it's the way God intended you to hear sound.

Which formats ais better, for every circoustances (quality, size...) for edition on Apple Final Cut Pro? Can I use the software that came with Final Cut Studio, called Compressor to convert my video and audio files?

The less compression you can get away with, the better. Try and keep the same format throughout the whole project. For instance, if you're importing stuff from your DV camcorder, stick with keeping things as DV stream throughout the whole process. Or, if you're taking crappy video off of the internet, go ahead and use compressor to up-convert the footage to DV, and then you can output it to something for DV and it might end up looking halfway decent.

Word on the street for doing Compressor MPEG-2 conversions is to NOT use Variable Bit Rate compression VBR (either single or double pass). Seems there has been a glitch in that setting (unless you have latest version).

If you're still on older versions, use Single Pass Constant Bit Rate setting for compression (6.4Mbps or less) setting.

Things will look just fine with this setting.

Happy Encoding,
Swami Jon

Hello,

I converted my MP3 to AAC and now I am editing it on Final Cut Studio. But something weird happened on Final Cut Pro 5. I cant edit my .MPG (MPEG-1) home videos. The audio doesnt should on Final Cut Pro with those videos. If I open AVI and edit them on FCP, it works, but MPG wont. So I had to convert my videos all to MOV using MPEG Streamclip Converter Software, but the size is bigger and the quality is worst. It is frustrating, I wish I could edit my MPG home videos. What should I do?

Any ideas what better program I can use to convert them and keep the same quality and stuff? Or can I edit the MPG, why is it not working for me? Any help will be much appreciated...

Gab

AFAIK, Final Cut Pro can edit AVI and MOV and also MP4, correct me if I am wrong? How can I edit the MPG files? There must be a plugin to make it work, I am sure. or maybe a codec?

Please help. Thank you in advance for reading this.

I also tried opening an AVi file on Final Cut Pro and it worked really well... the problem is that I cant open MPGs.

Back