Final Thoughts on iTunes 4?

pwharff

Registered
Now that all of you have had the time to play with iTunes 4 for a couple of days, what do you think?

PROS:

CONS:

Let me say, I love it. I do not buy much music at all. In the past five years I think I have bought maybe 3 CD's. I don't even download mp3's often. Just the hits I hear on the radio that I love. And anything I can work out to. But since this service started I have been shopping like mad! I am going to put a limit on how much I will spend a week on music. But I just think it is great.

The rest of iTunes is still amazing. Polished, smart, easy. Just a great Apple App. I am very pleased.

Matthew

iTunes 4 as an app on the whole is *$&%ing awesome. Easy, simple, still very powerful

iTunes 4 as an upgrade however... the only things that are new are the music store, album art, and music sharing.

To me, the music store is interesting... I might use it to explore and sample music, but... I'm still going to buy albums... I'm old fashioned. I like liner notes, art, and all that other shtuff.

Album art.... until this thing automatically gets album art, it's a kinda neat, but a little pain in my tuchus.

Music Sharing.... coolest thing, ever..... I can sample music with other Mac users on my school network.... very very VERY cool.

Great app. Good upgrade.

Agreed... For me, an European, the store still has its use. I can browse the store and then use [other tools] to 'acquire' the music. Help me not to pirate, Apple, make it international. ;-)

the font sucks, the playlists should be more customizable as boi said, and the store should be international! If you use a credit card, it shouldn't make a difference! i live in canada and i use an american express (my dad does at least HAHAHAHAHHAHA AHAHHAHAHA AAHHAHA I AM FUNNY!). Maybe it wont come till itunes 5... or 4.1... hopefully 4.01, or just tomorro. meow.

It's good.

I miss:
1) the international store (i'm sure it will change fast, as soon as the regulation authorizes it)
2) the old visualizer
3) the look-up for the CD cover artwork
4) a free TV channel
5) an iced beer dispencer
6) a hot coffee poorer
7) ??? hot girls dancing ???

androo, you can fix the ugly fonts by opening System Preferences and going to the General preference pane and change the font smoothing to 8 instead of 9 and you'll have great looking fonts again!

PROS: everything everyone has already said in this forum and dozens of others.

CONS: it is too damn easy to spend way too much money.

Pros: No more guilt, great prices, good quality, I can sample a lot of different stuff without having to buy or deal with some pushy sales person at the music store, I will finally start buying music again after a 2 year hiatus. (I swore I wouldn't buy another CD until I could play it on my computer, I don't have a stereo and don't want one)

Cons: I agree with gwynarion, it is too easy to push that buy button, but hey, that is what I've always wanted. I would like to say that the biggest - is that the selection isn't great and seems to be geared to an older audience. I'm 40 but the music seems to be geared to Elvis and Bob Dylan fans. Is this intentional on Apple's part or? It is probably too early to judge so I will keep my fingers crossed and reserve my real judgement for 3 months from now.

Awesome, but far too easy to spend money! I'm going to have to restrict myself. I'm like a kid in the candy store. I've downloaded 5 songs in half the time it takes me to get one on LimeWire.

The ONLY bad thing I have to say about iT4 is the control buttons. I must say that I prefer the previous look much better.

What are you guys wanting to with your dynamic playlists that you can't already do?

lol the buttons and the Metalic Theme?!!?

ya i've noticed and so did most of you.
Apple is still playing around with the Brushed Metal Theme. I think they are trying to either Get Us Mad!!! or finding out what looks The Most Apple-ish!

"Buy Song", "Buy Song", "Buy Song"... arggg! It's just too easy to do that. hehe. However I would like to see an option in the preferences that you can enable to prompt you with a password every time I click "Buy Song", that way others who have access to my Mac won't go song buying crazy on me!

Well I do love the new stuff in itunes, particularly sharing over rendezvous, and the store (obviously).

My CON is a biggie for me, though. I do not understand why anyone would have more than one piece of artwork for each song. I tried changing the album pic for whole albums at a time, then replacing again after I found a better quality version on the web. If you drag one in there, it just adds it and you have to select Get Info/Artwork tab. This is very customizable, but a pain in my ace. I suppose they are leaving room for liner notes, etc. Maybe a dialog box should pop up asking if you want to replace the present artwork, or just add it.

Now back to individually deleting multiple images from all of those albums.

Very true. This boggled my mind for quite some time before opening up an info window for a song. The dialog box would be very nice.

Another pro: iTunes is snappier, you especially notice that when you change the genre of 300 songs at a time. Way snappier than 3.::love::

Dammit,
I've spent the past few hours browsing the Music Store. Didn't buy anything. Wanted to. All of the music sounds so good. Im comparing them to MP3s I already have, and I want to buy the version from the Music Store because they sound so much better. Must remember not to browse music after having a few drinks.

I spent $27.00 last night on two albums and other assorted songs that would have taken hours and hours of download time, not to mention the weeks of just looking for all the pieces. It all downloaded in less than 15 minutes. The quality was beautiful. Way to go Apple!

There is one feature that I would very much like to see added. I noticed that there is no way to collect a list of music that you want to buy but do not want to buy all at one time. You can put things in your shopping cart but you can't choose to only buy parts of it. So what I would like to see is either a separate "wish list" feature or something like check boxes in the shopping cart with an option to "buy checked items"...

Back