Finally cooled down G4 MDD

zen.state

Registered
Some of you already know that I recently bought a dual 867 MDD. When I first got it the temps were really high on the cpu board (around 58c) The tower was pretty dusty inside so I gave everything a good blow with a can of air and also cleaned the 120mm system fan blades. doing this along with using some new thermal paste brought the cpu board down to 55-56c. I wanted below 50!@#

Today, after spending 13 bucks at my local computer shop on a HD cooler fan (80x80x15 fan), an 80mm fan to mount on the back and suck hot air out and a tube of much better thermal paste. the stuff I used before was 25% silver and the new stuff is 99%. the MDD is already so loud that I can't even hear the 2 new fans. I put the hard drive fan right in front of the HD by the heatsink and turned the fan around to blow at the heatsink instead of the HD.

Temp on the cpu board now.... 49.4c and stable there!@# not bad for 13 bucks and a very small amount of effort. most of all when you consider this thing ran as high as 59c when I first got it.

I am currently waiting for a pci slot fan I bought on ebay to arrive also. I hope that will get me down to the mid 40's!!!

here are some pics:

Attachments

• IM000107 07-02-16.jpg
    IM000107 07-02-16.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 14
right now its running at 46.9c

plus the ocz silver thermal paste (re-branded arctic silver) I used is said to work even better after 100-200 uptime hours. I guess it just bonds better after a week of use..

my temps keep getting slightly lower. i'd say about .1 lower every couple hours. many claim to get an 8-12c drop after a full week. I tried booting without the 2 new fans on just to see how well my paste was working so far and my temp was about 52.3. so down about 4 from paste alone. plus since many say they get at least an 8c drop in total once its properly bonded I may have another 4c+ drop to look forward to. its amazing what simply using quality paste can do.

the hard drive fan blows 32 CFM of air directly on the heatsink at 3200rpm so that helps a lot also. the fan on the back is only a 2000rpm and blows 22 CFM but the air it blows out feels quite warm so its doing its job. both are very quiet.

this is just more proof of how just a bit of cash and some good old fashioned resourcefulness can get a lot done.

operating temps in the high 50's are quite normal. plus the problem with the MDD G4's was not the spiking temperatures causing crashing, more the deafening noise of all the fans used to cool the damn things.

were you experiencing regular crashing?

operating temps in the high 50's are quite normal. plus the problem with the MDD G4's was not the spiking temperatures causing crashing, more the deafening noise of all the fans used to cool the damn things.

were you experiencing regular crashing?

no crashing at all. I just like keeping hardware cool. cool running hardware runs better and lives longer.

Back