find all files

gatoatigrado

Registered
I have been using macs for a while but there's one thing I can't figure out. On linux (kde, haven't used gnome) or windows you can leave the search box blank and click find and it will list all of the files in the current folder and subdirectories . the finder search box and the spotlight are both activated by having some starting keywords though. is there any way to get around this? a wildcard key (asterisk doesn't work).

I'm not sure what funcionality you're looking for that wouldn't be offered by navigating to a folder via Finder.

If you're used to searching for a folder, just type the name of the folder in Spotlight, and it will be found. If I'm missing the point, feel free to elaborate.

I think he wants a complete, non-hierarchical list of all files in a folder, including nested folders.

This has bothered me a few times, too. I usually end up searching for something like "size is greater than 0 KB" or "date created is before January 2010". Seems to get the job done.

yes that's right. Is there a wildcard? I know the third view option is okay, but I use a lot of subdirectories when I'm programming.

Thanks,
Nicholas

Well, Spotlight DOES have wildcard functionality...but like most of Spotlight's features, the Finder doesn't let you access it. Apple thinks we're too stupid to understand the more advanced features, apparently. :mad:

If you save a Smart Folder and open it in a text editor, you can unlock the full power of Spotlight by editing the "rawquery". This fully supports wildcards. Try this: In the Find window, enter "*". Save the Smart Folder, open it in a text editor, and just delete the "\*" from the search patterns, which will leave it with just "*" (the under-the-hood wildcard).

Again, not as easy or agile as it ought to be, but it works.

Back