Finder and Dock won't load

DeKa

Registered
Hi guys,

I've got a bit of a problem. I'm running OSX 10.2.1 (whatever the latest is, I ran Software Update fairly recently)

When I turn on my iMac, it runs through the motions of starting up - you get the grey screen with the rotating 'thingy' at the bottom, then you get the blue background and the 'Welcome to Macintosh' window where the blue bar goes from left to right.

Then the blue screen comes up, and you'd normally expect the desktop to load, with finder and the dock, but that's it. I'm just stuck on the blue screen. It occasionally flickers but that's it.

I did a bit of searching on here, and I've tried apple-s at startup, and typing fsck -y but the same errors came up.

The errors I get are under 'Checking Catalog File' and are:
"Overlapped extent allocation (file <a number goes here> )"

I tried putting my Jaguar CD in and booting on that, and then running the Disk Utility to verify and then repair the hard drive.
It looks the same as fsck -y? The same errors came up anyway, and it said repair complete, but my poor iMac still doesn't boot.

THe last software I installed was ircle (the irc software for OSX) if that helps.

Anyone have any ideas? Help please :D Anything is greatly appreciated.

Derek
--from Sydney Australia.

Yes I've repaired them too, and it didn't help.

I bought Diskwarrior this morning and have run that and although it fixed disk errors OSX still doesn't finish loading.

I don't really know what to do now :eek:

I've managed to backup my documents and data to CD in OS9 so at least i won't lose anything but music. I'm thinking about buying an iPod so I may take it to the applecentre, buy an iPod and get them to transfer my MP3's to the iPod then format the hard drive and start from scratch. We'll see. Any new ideas are welcome though!!

Thanks for your reply,
Derek.

Back