Finder (application) Services...

rhinosaur

Registered
So how do these work?

In any given app under OS 10.1 you can go the Finder menu (the one with the Apps name) and there are "Services". Upon expanding "Services" you see Disk Copy, Grab, Mail, etc. But I can't seem to make them work..ever. Regardless of the application that I'm in...even when an application like Grab is running, the functions for of the services remain grayed out. Does anyone have any ideas how these work? If they work? Just wondering.

You can actually use the key commands agian to take screen shots, like it was in 9...

Command shift 3 for full screen.

Command shift 4 for part of the screen.

I jumped up and down for joy when Apple added this in 10.1

It would appear that Services still don't work for Carbon apps (I thought I read somewhere that this was not true in 10.1, but it seems that it is), and the Finder is a Carbon app.

Try using a Cocoa app (like Omniweb, Terminal, or TextEdit).

When you select text in a Cocoa app, you can do things to this text with a Service. For instance, say you have a text document with a URL in it. You can select the URL, then go to Services->OmniWeb->Open URL, and Omniweb will open up and load that page.

With this knowledge, most of the other service are self explanatory. Disk Copy seems a little strange: if you have some text with the path of a disk image, you can use the Disk Copy service to mount that image. That doesn't seem so useful to me.

The only one I haven't been able to figure out is "Grab". No matter what I do, the Grab services are always greyed out.

It would appear that Services still don't work for Carbon apps (I thought I read somewhere that this was not true in 10.1, but it seems that it is), and the Finder is a Carbon app.

Try using a Cocoa app (like Omniweb, Terminal, or TextEdit).

When you select text in a Cocoa app, you can do things to this text with a Service. For instance, say you have a text document with a URL in it. You can select the URL, then go to Services->OmniWeb->Open URL, and Omniweb will open up and load that page.

With this knowledge, most of the other service are self explanatory. Disk Copy seems a little strange: if you have some text with the path of a disk image, you can use the Disk Copy service to mount that image. That doesn't seem so useful to me.

The only one I haven't been able to figure out is "Grab". No matter what I do, the Grab services are always greyed out.

The services do indeed work with cocoa apps...I can highlight text in omniweb and the services become available...to an extent anyway. I can summarize...open the text as a doc in text edit, etc. But, like yourself, I'm still baffled by the grab service, there seems to be no way to make it work...

Back