finder blinking in taskbar // not running in dock

bseagren

Registered
I'm hoping that someone has run into a similar problem and could help with any information..

problem: When starting OSX.2.4 the finder starts to blink in the taskbar and in the dock if you click on it, it says "finder not running" I have run the fsck -y a few times and it says eveything is ok.. Anybody have any ideas??

CPU: G4 450mhz 896mb or ram

I don't really know what you mean by "blinking in the taskbar," but The Finder is hung on something, I'd guess. Try deleting its and/or other Finder-related preferences.

by blinking I mean that on the top of the screen it blinks on and off every couple of seconds... How can i de;ete the preferences if the finder is not even running????

the weirder thing is that i can still use the internet and other apps..

whass the dilly??

Hmmm... What exactly is blinking at the top of the top of the screen? The Finder menu item? An icon? other text?

To navigate your disk without the Finder, open the Terminal and type cd followed by the directory you want to see. In your case, type cd ~/Library/Preferences and then hit ls and scroll through the list of files. The ones you should be paying attention to begin with "com.apple", specifically "com.apple.finder.plist".

To delete a file, use the rm command. rm com.apple.finder.plist should delete your Finder preferences. You might want to make a backup copy first, with cp com.apple.finder.plist com.apple.finder.plist.backup . Reboot after you've tryed that, and if all is well, then throw a party. If it's not, cry.

- Brian

here's the thing.. I can't even open,run, or see the terminal window... I'll try to explain a little clearer when i say ... on the top of the screen where the taskbar tells you waht program your in, blinks on and off...In the dock there is no little arrow under the finder icon.. If i control click it says that the finder is not running.. My desktop is blank so i can't see any updates or files that are located on it.. Any ideas??

If you can still use the internet and other apps, why can't you use the terminal?

And the terminal stuff I'd mentioned should work when running in single user mode (command-s at startup) as well.

--jaredbdk... don't waste my time with a dumb ass remarks!!

->>nintendo..thanks for your help...i can only run apps from within my dock.. i can't open the applications window (using the keybaord shortcut) to see the terminal,nor can i open my hard drive since the icon is not there... I have ran single user mode.. ran fsck -y.. it came up with sbin error (4,0) it fixes the error I ran it again it says that it appears to be ok...I typed in the path that you wrote and it can't find the file or directory,, I can find the preferences directory but there is only 2 files in there and none of them are listed as com.apple.finder.plist

thanks-ben

ps..jaredbdk.. suck my nutz!!!

Oooh...

When you boot in single user mode, you're not really logged in, so the preferences folder you're looking at isn't really yours. Instead of cd ~/Library/Preferences use cd /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences and see what you've got.

My mistake. Very sorry for the confusion!

Back