Finder constantly hanging

rotsky

Registered
My wife's Mac Mini (PPC, 10.4.11) is having a problem with Finder constantly hanging. She'll try to open a Finder window and gets the Balloon of Doom - sometimes for several minutes. Most of the time, the window will eventually open, but it may take anywhere from 2-5 minutes. Right-clicking on the dock icon shows 'Application not responding'. Relaunching works (though closing all Finder windows in the process) and Finder behaves for a few minutes, then the problem reoccurs.

I've run the Disk Utility to verify the HD in both normal & safe modes. (I'm having issues with booting from the distro DVD). And I have Disk Warrior on order. Is there anything else I should look at?

I'm taking backups and am considering a complete re-installation, but that's such a hassle and I really don't have the time for it. Anything else I should look at?

Hmm, sounds a little weird, I've heard good things about Onyx. its supposed to check your plists, which could be a conflicting problem.

I've now removed the finder plists (the main one and the one for the sidebar). I also found, in the Netinfo Manager, details of a mount to an SMB server that isn't in use anymore. Oops. So I guess that could cause it to throw a wobbly. Rebooting now...

Back