Finder crash accessing server

Heifer

Registered
When I access a server (Novell 5) all is well, I see the volumn, authenticate in mounts to desktop, appears in Finder window but as soon as I click on it to see files, they list in window and then beach ball of death, finder is crashed, have to reboot. Happens everytime. I was accessing this server fine just a few days ago.
Thoughts?

Are there any other computers in your network to test if the problems lies on your Mac or on your server? Also specify your hardware and software versions.

No other Macs have tried recently. All other PCs seem fine, they are logging in as Novell clients though, I'm just going straight at the server (I do authenticate of course).
iBook running 10.4.2 and accessing other networks just fine (Microsoft and home file sharing)

I should add that I seem to be finding and attaching to the server just fine. It's when I actually try to "go into it" that things crash.
For example, I accessed the server just now, authenticated, it mounts on the desktop and is in the Finder window. If I do not try to get anything out of there I'm fine, as soon as I click in that frame of the Finder window (well, 2 seconds later) the beach ball appears and the Finder is done. Same thing happens if I open an application and try to browse for a file on the server through it. As soon as I click on the server volumn, the list of files and folders appears and 2 seconds later, beach ball and the App is dead.

here's a new one, this time I got a window that said AFP Connection Status and "looking up <ip address of server>" and a beach ball in the Finder, I waited a bit, then cancelled the AFP window, Finder never came back though, actually it did after a force quit (usually have to reboot).

I pinged the IP address from above, good.
I used connect to server from the Finder did smb and it said user name password bad, but I never got a chance to put those in.
I tried AFP and after it tried for a while I got "connection failed, the server may not exist or it is not operational at this time, check the server name or IP address and try again"

hmmmmm

I told IT about it but I won't hold my breath since they don't care much about me and my Mac.

Back