Finder CTRL + Click launches folder. HELP!

gettica

Registered
Somehow, without knowing it, I have managed to program this computer to launch a specific folder every time I hold down the CTRL button and click the mouse. Obviously, this causes no end of headaches; I finally find the file I'm looking for, want to "open with" and when I hit CTRL and click, that rainbow spins, I swear and eventually all Finder windows close and a particularly obscure and completely useless folder launches.

Please help me make it stop!

Thank you!

In system preferences, keyboard & Mouse check keyboard shorts and see if your keystroke of ctrl + is there. That is the only thing I can think of.

What is the specific folder (and where is it located?) that appears when you '<control> click'? Typically, '<control> click' is reserved for a contextual menu to appear. The contents of the contextual menu is dependent on which application is currently the front most.

From ... 'I finally find the file I'm looking for, want to "open with" and when I hit CTRL and click, that rainbow spins' ... it appears you are '<control> clicking' on a file (in 'Finder'), and 'Finder's contextual menu does appear - from which you are selecting the 'Open With...' menu item, and then an application from the sub-menu list of (possible usable) applications. Is this correct? If so, what type of file are you '<control> clicking' on? (also provide its full name), what is / was its creator application?, what application are you selecting from the contextual menu's 'Open With...' menu item?

And ... just what MacOS X version is your unknown model Mac running?

barhar said:
What is the specific folder (and where is it located?) that appears when you '<control> click'? Typically, '<control> click' is reserved for a contextual menu to appear. The contents of the contextual menu is dependent on which application is currently the front most.

The specific folder is a document folder located on a server. It is merely a folder that contains all the files for that particular project.

barhar said:
... it appears you are '<control> clicking' on a file (in 'Finder'), and 'Finder's contextual menu does appear - from which you are selecting the 'Open With...' menu item, and then an application from the sub-menu list of (possible usable) applications. Is this correct?
Sadly, that's exactly what doesn't occur. My poor brain keeps forgetting that CTRL-Clicking does not open the contextual menu, so when I think, "I'd like to determine which program opens this file," I automatically hit the control button and click on it... Which triggers the rainbow thingy and that blasted folder opens instead.

barhar said:
If so, what type of file are you '<control> clicking' on? (also provide its full name), what is / was its creator application?, what application are you selecting from the contextual menu's 'Open With...' menu item?
The files are typically .tif (bitmap) files that I want to have opened by Photoshop, but Preview likes to open them. I'm usually hoping to select PhotoShop from the contextual menu, but since I never manage to get that far this might be a moot point.
barhar said:
And ... just what MacOS X version is your unknown model Mac running?
My G4 is running OS 10.4.5.

Hope this helps!
Thanks!

At least for the opening of files you could press Apple+i <bring up the info window> then change the "open with" section to Photoshop then "change all"

Back