finder/folder windows default &icons

roninsmurf

Registered
hey all -- this ? was hard to define i guess -- and was unsolved by the great techs here at mac osx, so i thought i'd put this post out into the ether. because it's hard to define the problem i've put in my requests and a partial answer from a tech.

>>>>>hiya. its frustrating me that my finder /folder windows always open the same/wrong way. (at least not how i want them to.)
i want them to open in list view, with name column first-- and i want that column width x -- then size column next, width y -- etc
but every time i open a new window that has yet to be told what to do, it always starts in icon view with no idea how wide i want the columns once i switch it to List.
this is a big deal for me because i create a lot of new folders

any ideas?

similarly, i'm amazed at how buggy icon-grids can be in osx
i find when i have a folder window open a lot-- moving new icons in and out -- the grid suddenly moves and now the icons that've been sitting there for a while are now suddenly confused and out of the new grid.
the one NEW icon that reset the grid layout feels it's on the grid, but then i have to move all the others -- sometimes when i do this, the folder window FLIPS OUT and shoots the icon way off to the left, etc, throwing off my meticulously sized window and making me replace ALL the icons on the grid.... harumpf.

any thoughts?

i'm macbok pro. 10.4.11

thanks as usual. you guys are great.

thanks guys! your help is much appreciated -- but i may not be being clear.
when i create a NEW folder
shft+cmnd+n
it wont open in the right pre-planned way/format
ie, i want a NEW folder to automatically open in say....LIST VIEW with the 2nd column being SIZE
instead, a NEWLY CREATED folder-window always starts in icon view with the darned toolbar on the side. i then have to alter each one. arg!
this even happens with my trash folder-window every darned time i restart my computer -- it simply can't remember i want things in non-toolbar/ window sized this big/ etc

i do understand how to MODIFY a newly created folder window to one's parameters. once i fix how the folder window is displayed, yes, it keeps its "form"
But: what i'm wanting to do here is pre-set how a new window will appear. --and fix how the danged trash window always appears re size/ etc
i make 50 new folder windows a day, so you can see how having to customize each one -- is a huge bother

re: the icons.
when i do want a folder displayed by icons, i haven't found the grid to be consistent at all.
it's mainly about putting a new file into the "gridded" folder.
in comes the new file, and the grid suddenly MOVES. off a few pixels
i can't keep icons arranged by any criteria -- i need them to be spacially collected the way my brain works. it's not as easy as being alphabetical.
so when i have, say,
3 icons stacked
then a space below
then another 2 icons grouped below the space
...that order is important to me
when i add another icon to the lower stack, about 50% of the time, the danged window takes the NEW icon, puts it into a NEW GRID, making a mockery of the old icons' collective grid.
the NEW GRID now reigns, and i have to carefully drag each old icon out of place so they now snap back to the NEW grid.
the biggest annoyance here is that if i drag more than 4 icon out of place so they snap to the new grid -- or if i use CLEAN UP -- sometimes the window throws the icons all over the place -- literally into new columns out of view -- i have to resize the danged window and reset everything. really a pain....

thanks again for your thoughts

roninsmurf - Apr 10, 2009 - 11:34 am

yes-- i get what you mean by the "parent" folder-window
my problem is this:
**why wont the trash window remember it's properties after restart?

and maybe similarly :
**i open create all my new folders on the desktop. maybe this is the problem? i want to create a new folder on the desktop in whatever way i want it. a standard setting for size etc would be great.
maybe the problem is, desktop-created folders are considered to have no "parent" style -- so it always goes back to the annoying default?
**how can i set the default to something else?

actually, wait no -- i just tried this:
i create new folder:
shft cmd n
then i set it to list view, moved size to be the second column
then create another folder WITHIN the first
then open up that new folder: it DOES NOT retain the view/size-as-second-column properties. it just goes back to dumb old icon view.
arg!
it DOES retain the size of the window
and oddly, it remembers the "snap to grid" rule
but otherwise nothin

same problem with new folders created on the desktop

ora - Apr 13, 2009 - 4:29 am

>>>
As I said before I don't have Tiger any more so its hard for me to test some things, but talking to a fellow mac-geek it seems creating new folders on the desktop _is_ the issue as you said.

It seems folders created there take a default layout you cannot alter. Try creating new directories in an existing finder window (even if that finder window is displaying the contents of the Desktop) rather than on the desktop. This is a workaround not a fix but the best I can come up with.

Once again i will leave this question open to other techs in case one of them has a better idea.

Cheers

>>>>>
hm: still unsolved:
how can i change the default forlder style?
and: how come it doesn't remember the style in regular folders anyway?
can i change the trash folder style?
icon placement?
anyone know what i'm talkin about here???
;)

Back