Finder forgets keyboard?

Dasman

Registered
I've got Tiger running on a G5 and use FileMaker Pro to copy names of files from and then use the Finder to paste those names onto a graphic file (rename the file). This works as one would expect, for a while, then the finder will only paste the name onto a file icon if you use the mouse and the file/paste command from the taskbar. If you try to use the shortcuts from keyboard or even if you use the keyboard to try and type in a new name, the machine does not respond to the keyboard. Force quitting the Finder appears to cure the problem for a while and then it reappears. Have tried repairing disk perms, ran DiskWarrior, and all seems OK. Any ideas what is causing the problem? TIA, Dana

I have recorded this same problem on 3 users machines. All are Quad G5s some running 10.4.4 and some running 10.4.5.
In all cases they report simply making a new folder and not being able to rename it or not being able to rename an existing file. The file can be either on a server or local drive. In all cases they are able to select the text, but the keyboard will not type.
Force Quitting and relaunching the finder cures the problem.
So far this has only occured on each of these machines once.
The most recent machine has had all cache files cleaned and daily/weekly/monthly cleanup routines run. The common thread between then is that they were all migrated from 10.3.9 using migration manager.
I am also running the same config but have yet to see the problem.

I have to assume that it is a pref going corrupt for something like a Keyboard input manager component of the finder.

Anyone else who can report this, please share your experiences.
Next time it occurs I plan to scan the activity manager.
Much Thanks

Back