Finder Issues

aniko

Registered
I have a few finder issues which have been bugging me and for which I can't find a solution. There are as follows:

I can't rename folders (folders I created) which I currently have on the capture drive. I've partitioned my drives.

Something related to the above is that anytime I want to move these folders I'm asked to authenticate (even though I'm logged in). I don't need this extra "feature".

When I try to find help through the help popup there is nowhere for me to type in specific information. Only a list of topics which i don't find very useful. The online info suggests that there is such a window.

Then there's another bizarre thing which is that everytime I highlight a file either quicktime or FCP a strange buzzing emmanates from my computer speaker. This also happens from time to time when I'm in these programs.

And finally. When I first got my computer I was advised that having separate drives or partitioning drives would make video programs more stable. I've done this but now I want to shift the partition. I'm afraid of what the answer might be but is there anyway to do this without starting from scratch?

thanks for all the help!

Regards,

Aniko

When I try to find help through the help popup there is nowhere for me to type in specific information. Only a list of topics which i don't find very useful. The online info suggests that there is such a window.

See image ...

Attachments

• Help Viewer-Screen-Grab-001.jpg
    Help Viewer-Screen-Grab-001.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 3
I can't rename folders (folders I created) which I currently have on the capture drive. I've partitioned my drives.

Something related to the above is that anytime I want to move these folders I'm asked to authenticate (even though I'm logged in). I don't need this extra "feature".

It sounds like you are not listed as the owner of that drive, or do not have the permissions set correctly. Try selecting the drive in Finder and then choose File --> Show Info. Under "Ownership & Permissions", expand the "Details" section. Ensure that you are the owner and that you have read & write access, then click "Apply to all enclosed items".

If this doesn't work, you could try using the Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility to repair permissions on that drive.

Then there's another bizarre thing which is that everytime I highlight a file either quicktime or FCP a strange buzzing emmanates from my computer speaker. This also happens from time to time when I'm in these programs.

This sounds like a hardware fault is causing your speaker to buzz when the hard drive is being accessed in certain ways, such as when your Mac is buffering these video files. You'll need to have an Apple-certified tech have a look at it.

aniko said:
…anytime I want to move these folders I'm asked to authenticate (even though I'm logged in). I don't need this extra "feature".

This is an essential feature of OS X: if you're changing a volume that is going to affect other users of the computer, such as the Applications folder or the Root (Macintosh HD) folder, the computer asks you to authenticate to ensure you're not just someone who's found a co-worker's Mac open and decide it'd be really funny to delete their System folder.

Whereas Windows assumes that if you're logged in as an Administrator, everything you do, every program you run, has administrator privileges (one of the two main causes for virus rampancy on that platform, since a virus which is run by a program has full administrator privileges and can delete whatever it likes).

Sorry for the slow reply... but thank you all for your help. The access problem has been solved.

A

Concerning the buzzing noise: I've experienced this while working on/with serveral machines including Macintosh and PCs. To me this seems normal if this generates a really low volume sound. (For example I usually hear a faint static noise if the DVI plug of my cinema display is connected to my mac mini)

Back