Finder keeps freezing up in 10.4.2

joshiieee

Registered
I keep having a problem where Finder freezes up during normal operations, whether it's moving a file from one location to another, renaming a file, emptying the trash, etc. It's very random as to when it happens. It refuses to relaunch and Mac OS X will not even shut down. It will try to shut down by closing open applications, but then never actually shut down. I have to force a shut down by holding down the power button. It's happened to me maybe 4 or 5 times in the last few days since I upgraded. Is anyone else having this problem or know how to fix it?

Hi Joshiieee,

First suggestion is to Trash the following file: com.apple.finder.plist In order to do that take this path: MacintoshHD>Users>Library>Preferences>com.apple.finder.plist.
Drag that file to the Trash, empty the Trash and try a new Finder window. See if it is stable. If not, try running Disk Utility. That is in your Applicaitons>Utility folder. Launch Disk Utility. On the left side will be "MacintoshHD" (unless you have renamed it). Now, below that click Repair Permissions. Close Disk Utility, open a new Finder window and see if that does the trick. If not, I suggest you go to:
www.versiontracker.com and look for a utility called "Onyx". It's freeware and has a Maintenance script that clears caches, log caches and temporary caches. It will also Repair Permissions for you. It's not a long download, about 10 minutes on a 56K modem. Easy to install and use. See if any of these suggestions help.

Good luck...
Carolyn :)

Back