Finder not loading

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
Morning fellow members. This morning i powered up my powerbook and the finder appears to not be loading. I get the blue backgroung and the cursor but no icons, dock, menu, etc. i ran diskwarrior 3.0.2 and 33 % of files are out of order. Dwarrior says it cannot fix. Any ideas? Is it worth getting dw 4? the drive appears fine. I booted the machine in target disk mode and hooked up to another mac. Disk util found no errors

Sounds like it could be the mount point. I had a similar problem last year and tried everything you have, managed to get the finder to continue to load and crash every second and a half but thats the best it would do. Kissed my data goodbye and got another HD. 27Gbs of music down the tubes, thank god for iPodrip.

Thanks bob! The safe boot worked! Weird since i have not installed anytiing new in a long time! Now to figure out how to fix the issue

Stuffit can cause Finder problems.

Check your Contextual Plig-ins folder in User/Library and Library/

Thanks again Bob :)

I went through and I removed all 'recently' installed software...ended up removing everything. Still the finder did not load.

I decided to format the HD completely, and reinstall the OS.
Upon installation and reboot, the finder STILL does not load!
However, I can boot in safe mode, and things work!

I am running a complete hardware scan with the CD that came with my powerbook to see if anything else is the matter. I am sort of baffled.

Update: Hardware test concluded, all hardware came back as fully functional.
Still only loading in safe boot mode

Something in the Startup Items is most likely causing the problem.
Either in System/Library/Startup Items, Library/Startup Items or User/Library/Startup Items

Bob, there is nothing in my startup items (anywhere).
I formated the hard drive and installed a clean OS (nothing of the old stuff remained). Weird...

At the moment I am up with safe boot mode. I think I can survive this way. The only impediment is not having airport (well that and audio), but most tasks I can accomplish for now.

any other ideas? ;-)

oops, sorry: in system/library/startup I do have items (I did not have any in HD/library or user/library). O have attached a screenshot of what is in there. The only thing that seems odd is the fibrechannel folder since I dont have a fibre card in my laptop.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 6
That list is exactly what's in mine.

Safe Mode loads only required kernel extensions (some of the items in /System/Library/Extensions).

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It disables all fonts other than those in /System/Library/Fonts

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It disables all startup items and any Login Items.

It has to be something in Extensions, Fonts or Startup or Login Items.

Back