Finder not responding, all desktop items have disappeared.

ok so maybe you guys can give me a hand as well.

I just started working at a new agnecy when today one of the artists was working on some files and uploading them one at a time using Fetch. Suddenly when she went to the next file, Illustrator told her that the file was not found. When she checked her desktop the files in her work folder were gone and to make matters worse so are most of her folders and files. Only 3 folders are left in her work folder.

She tried a reboot with no luck. Then i came along and here is a list of what i have tried so far:
1. used Tinker Tool to look for invisible files. No luck.
2. while using Tinker Tool realised her fonts folder is now empty. Not good
3. Logged in as Root to look for files. No luck.
4. Used startup disk to repair permissions. No luck. (although it did say that Fetch group permissions were incorrect, hmm)
5. Moved the finder plist to the desktop and restarted. Notihng

I am now at a loss. I will try the safe mode and then the ls command to see if i see them, but for rignt now, I am freaking internally.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

***Edit***Forgot to mention the system is an iMac 2Ghz Intel with a wireless network with 2 other macs, a Quad G5 and another iMac not intel.

Depends on whether or not you have backed up your data. If you have not, get DiskWarrior, boot on that and try to save what data you can, preferably to an External Drive that you will now, forever, use to daily back up your data.

If you have simply boot on your Installation Disk--which has your DiskUtility and then reinstall you OS, and then transfer over your data.

--J.D>

Back