Finder restarts with right click

nisca11

Registered
Hello,
I have been having this problem for the last few weeks. Not everytime, but I would say 60-70% of the time I right click on the desktop, icon, archive, anything really to pop up the menu to choose how to open it, etc My Finder freezes and reloads. This happens to me dozens of times per day. I don't even know where to start to figure this out.
Any ideas?
Thanks alot, Kev

Trash the 'com.apple.finder.plist' file located in User/Library/Preferences
Restart

Run Repair Permissions from Disk Utility in your Utility folder.

Download one of these;

Onyx, Yasu, Cocktail

Use to clear all Caches, run maintenance scripts, etc.

If that doesn't help, see if you have the StuffItCM.plugin (in /Library/Contextual Menu Items)

If you do, move it out of there to the Desktop for now and see if it corrects the problem.

there seems to be a problem with stuffit v11.0 it did the same to me some time ago. After much trial and tribulations I reinstalled OS X

Thanks guys for the help.
BOBW:
I tried your first suggestions, I did not even have that file anywhere on my computer. This problem only started after I did a reinstall of my system about 3 week earlier. So I still had all my backups on dvd so I decided to reinstall my system again. I reinstalled and the problem still continues now.

BOBW and GRKNSS:
I had only the 11.0 version of Stuffit on my comp, didn't know there was a 11.0.2 update available. It was happening before, so I installed the update and the problem still continues. I have now removed the stuffitCM.plugin file and placed it on my desktop. I'll let you know how that goes. I'll know in a few minutes.

GRKNSS:
Did the reinstall work for you? For me I am still in the same problem.

Thanks again, i'll keep you updated, and thank you very much for helping me. This problem isn't very grave, however it is very annoying.

Hello Again,
Well since I removed the stuffitCM.plugin from my context folder I have not had any recurrence of the problem. So I guess that was the problem. So now what do I do with this plugin file on my desktop? Is there a way to reinstall it, or find a good version of it? Remember I had it installed and updated(after downloading the new version from the Stuffit pages). So am I now to have no right click menu support for Stuffit. I always zipped my files using rightclick and choose stuffit/zip archive.
Is there anyway to return to that process, or am limited in that aspect from now on?
Again thank you, you stopped the problem for me.
Have a good week.
Kevin

Back