Finder windows not updating?

Lüftwaffle

Registered
Has anyone else had this problem:

When creating a new file in an open window (usually happens when expanding a Stuffit archive into the same folder) the new file does not appear, even after closing and reopening the window. It's definitely there as I can see it via the terminal window, but it won't show up. It will show up when another file is moved in/out or deleted from that folder. Looks like the Finder (or whatever the new GUI is called these days) is not updating it's windows properly.

Any ideas anyone?

And yes, I'm running the most recent versionof OsX

I have not experienced this specific problem, but a similar one. It seems that the available disk space displayed in the Finder is additive, but not subtractive.

When I add to a directory and look at the 'View Info' window, it updates as it should. However, if I remove a file - or all the files for that matter, it still shows the largest size. Very annoying. Also, after emtying the trash of a large amount of data, the disk space remains unchanged.

Finder has a long way to go!

I'm having similar problems. First on my desktop whenever I download something it doesn't show up on my desktop until I click on the desktop. So if I'm working in an application saving or downloading something I can't see anything in a folder/desktop until I bring that folder to the finder to the front.

I'm also having trouble with refreshes on network volumes. I have a Win2000 Server with appletalk enabled that I use to drop files to and from my mac to other computers on the network since I can connect to them directly (without thirdparty software..). I might throw something in the folder from another machine and won't be able to see it in the finder when connected to that folder.

-B

Originally posted by hugheba
I'm having similar problems. First on my desktop whenever I download something it doesn't show up on my desktop until I click on the desktop. So if I'm working in an application saving or downloading something I can't see anything in a folder/desktop until I bring that folder to the finder to the front.
-B
Well the desktop always was a special place, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it wasn't updated stante pede, but ordinary folders should display any changes at once.
I'm also having trouble with refreshes on network volumes. I have a Win2000 Server with appletalk enabled that I use to drop files to and from my mac to other computers on the network since I can connect to them directly (without thirdparty software..). I might throw something in the folder from another machine and won't be able to see it in the finder when connected to that folder.
-B [/B]
that's most interesting... seems to indicate that the finder info isn't refreshed often enough or maybe even never at all...
(I'll take it that the files are listed in a terminal window when you do an ls -l ?)

Anyone shed any light on this?

:confused:

Unless Apple gets the Finder fixed up to its pre-OS X glory (if that's the right word), it really needs a Refresh command. But of course that's too "Windows-like," so we probably won't see it.

-Rob

Back