Finder wont launch...HELP

girlzdesign

Registered
I have a Powerbook G4 and I am running OS 10.3.9. About 2 days ago when I started up my computer all the icons on my desktop are gone, including my HD and the menu bars at the top. The top menu bar does show up when I open an application from the docking station, but disappears again when I close that application. I know my files still exist, because I can open them in various applications, I just can't see them, or access them thru the finder. The finder will not open, the preferences do not seem to exist, so I cannot delete them. I cannot force quit the finder, because it won't launch. I have tried disk repair, permissions repair, I have booted from my instal disk and run a hardware test, nothing seems to help. Any ideas?

Wow. I was just about to post the same thing you wrote. I am having the same issue with a friends ibook g4. Anyone have any good suggestions?

I ended up doing an archive and install and that fixed the problem...I tried a million other things and not a one worked.

Good Luck

Archive meaning you just backed up all files? And you reinstalled the system software?

I hooked up my friends computer to mine and it appears I do see all of her files are still available. I may end up reinstalling her system software.
I am going to save her user profile to an external drive. Is there a way to restore her user profile back over to her computer after the re-install?

Thanks

Back