Finding out my physical location??

CharlieJ

R.I.P bobw
Right.
Ive connected to someones network. Like one of my neighours, and they have a default password on their router, they have no protection what so ever. So... basically I want to be nice and go round and say "hey, do you know your internet is open??" I could be nasty and mess with some settings and download loads of illegal stuff via their connection but. Im not like that.

Anyway. I'd like someone to tell me how I can find the address of this router. I know its possible.

Thanks

C.J.

EDIT: The actual house address. Not IP Address, MAC address or other. I want a postal address.

I really don't know how you'd go about finding the location of the access point easily. You could:

a) connect to the access point, go to ipchicken.com and see what the public IP address of the router is, and then try and get their ISP to tell you who's got that IP (they probably won't)

or

b) you could walk around with a laptop playing the "Hot/Cold" game trying to find the house based on signal strength.

Generally speaking, there's good reason why there's no simple way to find someone's address from their IP. Personally speaking, I would definitely have given a few Internet punks a beatdown by now if it were easier to find out.

Back