fine-tune my laptop x:y ratio?

processor93

Registered
i have a G4 12-inch powerbook running 10.3.9. haven't moved to tiger yet because of some annoying issues i've noticed on my work computer.

bear with me because this is my first laptop and i haven't been on OSX very long (a little over a year).

my question is about something which is fairly simple on external monitors but seems to have no recourse on my laptop: i think my horizontal axis is a little bit skinnier than the vertical. i really noticed it when looking at pics of myself i had taken portrait: i looked fine sideways, but when i rotated the image to be straight up suddenly i seemed elongated. a quick measurement of a simple circle shape on my screen reveals that the diameter is indeed about 1/16" thinner horizontally.

when i go to "displays" in system prefs, i see nothing in terms of adjusting this. is it somewhere else?

I don't think that it's possible.. in fact, I haven't seen an LCD monitor that you can do that on.. but I haven't seen many.

No you can't do that because LCDs have a fixed display. CRTs you can adjust where the electron beam hits the screen but LCDs use fixed pixels that are either on or off. Sorry I don't know what could be causing your problem.

if you're running a low-res mode (non-native), the smoothing might case some slight oddities, but I haven't seen any aspect ratio issues. (unless, the non-native changed the ratio (like, on a 1440x900 going to 1024x768. That will end up with vertical bars. If I fill the screen with 1024x768 (stretched), it will fill screen, but picture will be distorted laterally.)

Back