Fink and Virex

dabbler

Registered
Hello World! This is my first post and I am taking the first faltering steps into *nix. I have installed Apple's X11 and the SDK. I also downloaded, but not yet installed fink and something called X11 extension (what does this do??).

My question is... I already have Virex 7.2 installed from .mac. I know this is incompatible with fink, but do I have to uninstall it (and remove all the files they say it writes in various directories scattered about the system) or can I just switch it off and promise not to run it, leaving it all ready for if ever I (a) get bored of fink or (b) my mac gets sick with viruses.

Many thanks in advance! If this is on a faq somewhere I couldn't find it, and would appreciate a link.

It's likely that Fink will be recognised as a virus by Virex, as it does actually go into levels of the system that should not be typically used. Turning off Virex should be all you need to prevent any trouble.

The X11 client is a windowing system used by many Unix programs; among them KDE, Gnome, Gimp, etc... Apple's X11 is by far the fastest on Mac OS X, but there are others. If you choose to use the Apple X11 client, then you can select an "x11 Placeholder" in Fink's package select menu, that will tell Fink not to try and install the Xfree86 X11 client, but just to assume that there is one there already.

Here is an FAQ on Apple's X11:
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27378&highlight=x11

For Fink help, I'd suggest taking the time to look over the Fink site.

I thought the Virex problem was solved ...

From fink.sourceforge.net :

2003-04-16: Virex problem resolved

McAfee has released Virex 7.2.1, which no longer overwrites the main Fink directory /sw. Fink users should continue to avoid Virex 7.2.

Early reports indicate that upgrading Virex from 7.2 to 7.2.1 still leaves some problems however. If you upgrade Virex with Fink not installed, and subsequently wish to install Fink, you will need to delete the /sw directory by hand before installing. And if you upgrade Virex with Fink already installed, you should immediately run fink reinstall openssl-shlibs dlcompat-shlibs curl-ssl-shlibs to restore files which the Virex upgrade may have deleted.

OK, I've installed Virex 7.2.1. I still haven't installed fink yet. I have found a directory called /sw (in root), which contains a file called DS_Store.lib. So I delete this directory, install fink and live happily ever after? Forgive the extreme caution, I'm a coward by nature!

Many thanks for the responses so far.

Hello Everyone

I have another question. In the Fink user guide it says to edit the .xinitrc file so that Apple X11 can work with fink. Where do I find the .xinitrc file? or if I have to create one, where do I put it?

Thanks in advance.
Paul

.xinitrc typically is located in your user's home folder. ~ in unixspeak. You can make such a file with PICO. Depending on what you want to load, your file will include different commands. In the X11 FAQ in this forum there are some links to sites with explanations and examples of .xinitrc files.

Thank, Cat. I did look in my home file and didn't find one. Am I right in thinking that Apple X11 has to have one somewhere on the system to know to load the Xterm? I'll take a look at the examples anyway.
Regards

Back