fink & bundle-tetex

chenly

Moof!
Does anyone know how big the bundle-texex file is? I selected "1" every time, meaning I'm installinng seven packages, but it's been going for around fifteen minutes, and I have a ~2mbps connection (I realize that the remote servers might be slow, but it's Sunday night at 9:22 pm). Any thoughts?

Not sure precisely - though I was waiting for a looooong time to install it, and then I had a look at the ftp mirror, which said the tetext-termnf (or something) was ~30 megs. At which point (going at about 100 b/s) I gave up.

Just have a look at the URL that fink is trying, put it into an FTP client like Fetch or a browser that can handle FTP browsing, and check out the size.

I got most of it but one file wasn't there. fink says it's not installed, but I'll try again later. It was getting the connection but the file wasn't there. fink will adjust and know what files are where when I try again.

Here's an excerpt from fink:

rm -rf hyperref-6.72-1
mkdir -p /sw/src/hyperref-6.72-1
unzip -o /sw/src/hyperref-6.72.zip
Archive: /sw/src/hyperref-6.72.zip
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip: can't find zipfile directory in one of /sw/src/hyperref-6.72.zip or
/sw/src/hyperref-6.72.zip.zip, and can't find /sw/src/hyperref-6.72.zip.ZIP, period.
### unzip failed, exit code 9
Unpacking the tarball hyperref-6.72.zip of package hyperref-6.72-1 failed.
The most likely cause for this is a corrupted or incomplete download. Do you
want to delete the tarball and download it again? [Y/n]
rm -f /sw/src/hyperref-6.72.zip
curl -f -L -s -S -O http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fink/hyperref-6.72.zip
/sw/src/hyperref-6.72.zip.zip, and can't find /sw/src/hyperref-6.72.zip.ZIP, period.
want to delete the tarball and download it again? [Y/n]
rm -f /sw/src/hyperref-6.72.zip
curl -f -L -s -S -O http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fink/hyperref-6.72.zip
want to delete the tarball and download it again? [y/N]

Sourceforge has been updating its downloads section of late. That means some of your download links in fink no longer work, copy the URL and get the file by hand.

To permanently solve this you'll have to update fink to use cvs, then it'll fetch hte lates download links that the fink and package maintainers have updated.

dani++

Please run:

'fink selfupdate-cvs'

or make a google search, download the file and cp the tar.gz to /sw/src

Cheers...

More information, from the fink-users list:

-----------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: [Fink-users] html instead of .tgz files from sourceforge?

Question
Several times recently (but not always) when trying to install stuff via fink (0.4.0),

curl -f -L -s -S -O
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fink/[some_package].tar.gz

has acquired a "corrupt" tarfile, which turns out to be an .html file for a page which involves selecting a mirror site. This means I have to slog around the net to find out where the real file is, download it and put it in my /sw/src directory, and start over. Have I got something mis-configured, or has somebody else?

Answer
Sourceforge.net changed their setup in a big way, a week or two ago. All of the fink package descriptions which specify downloads from sourceforge were then modified to be compatible with sourceforge's new setup. To update your package descriptions to the new ones, run "fink selfupdate-cvs".

Question
Even if we otherwise only install stable packages?

Answer
If you are only using the binary installer (via apt-get and dselect) then you do not need the update.

If you only install packages whose source files are installed in locations other than sourceforge.net, then you do not need the update.

If you do not mind finding the sourcefiles at sourceforge yourself, downloading them, and putting them into /sw/src, then you do not need the update.

But if you want fink to be able to find things at sourceforge by itself,then you need the update.

In the update, we changed all of the lines in fink packages of the form:

Source: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/BLAH

to a new, more complicated thing which grabs the files from one of the new "sourceforge mirrors".

Question
I prefer the latter, as I have been a stable-using from-source Fink user, and I like that Fink does all the hunting for me. I just want to make sure that, before I do `fink selfupdate-cvs`, I don't end up shooting myself in the foot -- on this machine I like to use the stable packages. Forgive me for not really understanding what `fink selfupdate-cvs` does, but will I still be able to update to the stable versions of packages? Or does this set me up to always update from cvs?

Answer
Fink stores package descriptions on your local machine. Both the stable ones and the unstable ones are present, and you get to control which of these is used by means of the Trees line in /sw/etc/fink.conf .

You can update package descriptions when we make a fink "release" like 0.4.0, but we make releases very infrequently. To take advantage of all of the modifications which the fink developers have made to the "stable" packages since the past release, you can run "fink selfupdate-cvs".

This does two things;
1) it updates all of your package descriptions, both stable and unstable, to the most recent ones
2) for a few, essential packages such as fink itself, if the package has changed it will be automatically updated. Whether to go ahead and update other packages is then up to you.

The advantage in a situation like this one is that, even if you are sticking to the stable packages, you get the benefit of the corrections to those packages which the fink developers made in response to the (unannounced!) changes at sourceforge.net.

Result
I see. It simply grabs all of the package descriptions, including the ones which are not normally grabbed by "fink selfupdate" (the between-Fink-release updates). But doesn't really have an effect on whether or not my fink.conf file installs from stable or unstable.
------------------------------------------------

Cheers..

Back