Fink Commander/X11/No clue in Unix!

Vard

Looking for progress
I hope the subject is warning enough that I am not yet familiar with various Unix command stuff, so please keep that in mind if you can help me.

I downloaded Fink and Fink Commander and got it up and running fine last night. Got it to pull a nice long list of apps that I could go after. The first that I selected was AbiWord. I got two warnings that of course I didn't really understand. The first gave me two choices...I just told FC to accept the default choice and moved on. The next warning was a Y/N and again I went with the default choice. After a few minutes I got an Error message and then nothing happened. Tried it again, same result, but much quicker this time. Then I figured I would try another app as an experiment...same results.

Which leads me to think that it is something wrong with my installation, or that I just don't know what I am doing--and quite possibly it's both.

In case anyone wants to take a stab at helping with this admitadly vague description....here are some vitals...

Nothing is installed in my User account. X11.app is in the main Applications folder, and fink just installed inself where it thought it would be best...I put Fink Commander in a separate folder called Fink stuff outside of everything right on the HD. Everything else I just let go where it needed to go.

One other ?. I noticed that FC is putting everthing in one folder...which I can't remember the name of right now. But the two programs that I tried to get last night are in there, and I am guessing just taking up space....what can and can't I get rid of in there.....I can't afford to break this machine, my wife will kick my ass huge!

Thanks for any help.

Eddie

Hey Bri,

I pretty muched guessed that, but I am stuck at work on the W2K machine. I will reply to this post tonight when I get home with the relavant information...maybe a screen shot so I can make sure you see what I am talking about.

Thanks anyway,
Eddie

OK....in three seperate uploads, here are the errors I am getting.....hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Eddie

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 24
Well, it is pretty normal.

Please give some time to reading the manuals and FAQs at fink.sourceforge.net.

On the other hand, to use Fink you need to have the developer tools installed. They either came in a CD with your retail version or you can download them if you register (free) as a developer on apple's site. The download is huge though.

There is an option on fink to just download binary packages but I do not use it.

You can also install the Apple's X11 tools and SDK (not necessary but recommended) and fink will recognize them.

dani++

Thanks.....I do have the disk for Developer Tools...I'll get that installed and do a little reading up on this..thanks for the tip.

Eddie

fink will be installed in /sw. That is so cool because it isolates everything.

Be sure to get the gimp.
OroborOSX is very useful.

good luck.

I'v read what I can, tried things step by step, but things are still not working out.

I think I'll have to get some more reading on Unix before I move on with this.

I feel so stupid and frustrated with this.

Oh well.

Eddie

Don't worry. Using UNIX is quite tricky at times. Just get patient and get the notion that is the most Mac-unlike way of doing stuff ever (though Fink and other tools help a bit). However, it is damn useful sometimes (and imprescindible on some businesses).

Play with it carefully and with persistence and rewards will come. Read the docs. Throw away the '/src' directory and start over as many times as needed.

dani++

Dan++....

Thanks for that....especially the part about tossing out the /src directory....good to know I can ditch that without killing OS X. One other thing...would it be better to toss that from inside Aqua, or should I get into useing the terminal command 'rm', or something like that.

And isn't it 'man' in the terminal to figure out how to use different commands....and last thing. Is there a command in the terminal that can list all the available commands? That would be super helpful. then I could 'man' whatever and see what it actually does.

Thanks again,
Eddie

Im having the exact same problem, and im not great in unix but I figured out that it meant fink doesnt work well with apples X11... It tells me to install a different window system, and then because i have X11 installed already the other window system's installation fails... So does anyone know how to make X11 work with fink?
-thanks

It sounds like you are having the same problem I had. Try installing the "system-xfree 4.2-5" placeholder from Fink first. It will help Fink see that you have installed XFree86 (which was installed for you by Apple's X11). Until that is installed, you will get errors when you try to install anything. Hope this helps.

Back